Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help choosing an 8"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help choosing an 8"
    Posted: 26 January 2018 at 1:43pm
So we have this box, the drivers all are burnt but thinking of reusing the box .
Which b&c 8" would you choose and would you seal it or?

Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2018 at 1:49pm
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2018 at 5:26pm
I doubt it were very high efficiency 8" speakers in there and unless you're in for some attenuating (bulky resistors), I would go for a more "average" speaker parameter-wise. The main thing will be to get the tonal balance right again, so knowing what's in it, could help to pick a speaker with similar parameters, efficiency figure as a start to pick one that gets it right out of the box.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2018 at 5:34pm
Wasn't thinking of using the original built in crossover if that's what you think.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2018 at 5:34pm
Lord knows what 8inch is inside, blank driver from the 90s.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2018 at 6:06pm
Post a picture of the 8 inch. Also i doubt those spec are close to reality, 103db from reflex loaded 15 at 50hz??? I dont think so.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2018 at 6:13pm
celestion tf0818mr has a closed back so wont require back bowl or seperate chamber, is cheap, does 400-3000hz+ and is fairly efficient.. eminence alpha8mra might be another cheap and useful drop-in option..
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2018 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Post a picture of the 8 inch. Also i doubt those spec are close to reality, 103db from reflex loaded 15 at 50hz??? I dont think so.

"one of the finer speaker systems ever made"

I will try get a pic.
That celestion is cheap as chips for sure albeit 100watts. Me thinks this speakers will get pushed a bit harder and if there's a modern 15" in there will the celestion keep up or am I assuming wrong?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2018 at 6:48pm
Not sure i get what you mean by that.

That box is 600W program power, meaning 300W AES, so why would you need more then 100W in the mid section?
If your idea is to change all the components in that box, then i dont see a point in recommending any 8 inch when we dont know what the rest of the components are.
Does it must have closed back?
If i remember right, the more modern 3 way Carvin boxes are all Eminence inside, so that 8 might also be Eminence.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2018 at 7:10pm
Yes everything, the 1" is an  rcf classic (fk me cant remember the name now) 15" is yet to be chosen too.
Does it have to have a closed back? Well you tell me thats why i asked would you seal it or no,and why i posted in newbie section :)
So it doesnt need to be like the perfect combination of 15" and 8" but in the ballpark of what could work sensibly.

I can identify and know what a horn or reflex suited subbass driver TS are  but cant translate that to midrange and be sure that im right.
 Post Reply Post Reply