Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M10 vs m20 vs 35mm pole mount?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 9:42am
Originally posted by efinque efinque wrote:

Originally posted by charlysays charlysays wrote:

Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

I've just checked out the weight of these....  38kg and only small cut-out handles.

Firstly, you're going to need some high spec speaker stands and secondly I hope you're either built like a gorilla or have some help available to lift them onto the stands!

38kg indeed, could save 5-6kg if I fit some neo woofers though (looking for one with a close match to the 2226 in another thread on here).

Most of the weight is from the massive compression driver- that thing weighs as much or more than the woofer.

My speaker stands have a safe working load of 50kg providing the weight is centered, so they should be fine?

I always have help, also got an amazing stair climbing sack trolley. In cases of small gigs I use smaller lighter tops. I'm not built like a gorilla but I'm a lean 90kg at 6'1" and have done weights twice a week for over 10yrs.

What you've said has more or less made my mind up on fitting neo woofers though. 5-6kg saved overhead is worthwhile. one woofer is blown anyway. If they were both working I'd suck it and see.

My old Alto 15" passive tops were in the same weight range.. I wouldn't personally put them on speaker stands alone anymore due to apparent safety risks.

There's no free lunch really when it comes to tops for larger gigs... These were cheap I believe at £100 the pair so I'm going to work with what I've got. Looking at the spec sheets, these later sound power cabs (early 00s) use the same components as the SRX range. High end speakers. I have a pair of JBL MP415 which I'll use for smaller gigs. Those are 25kg though and I generally have help getting them onto stands tbh.

Other option is just to roll with stacking them into subs like I used to, but it would be nice to have the flexibility of stands because as I said earlier I think mono blocks of subs work best. But mono blocks of tops generally don't cover too well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12