Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Portsize with different port diameter help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0krizia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Portsize with different port diameter help
    Posted: 31 January 2018 at 6:29am
Hello. I got a pair of wharfedale impact 15 top speakers im planning to re-tune. The port are 8 cm tall, 45cm wide in the front and 26cm at the rear end. How does this shape impact tuning frequency? Does an ever increasing surface area give a lower or higher tuning than a constant surface area?

The reason why I am asking is because I am curious about how i will extend the port. Shall i continue the decrease of the surface area or increase it for lowering the tuning frequency efficiently.

Edited by 0krizia - 31 January 2018 at 6:36am
stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 11:45pm
As far as I know, port shape doesn't really affect the tuning frequency. To lower the tuning frequency, increase the depth of the shelf. Making a port longer tunes it lower.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2018 at 7:51am
Id extend it at the same size as its narrow point then test for port noise as well as retuned frequency.
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2018 at 4:52pm
Increasing port area over length, increases the tuning frequency.

If you increase port length or port area at the inside of the cabinet, this will lower the tuning frequency. However any decrease in cabinet volume, will partially counteract this, by raising the tuning frequency.

Easiest would be to simulate this in Hornresp.

Regards
airbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 7:18am
You would lower the tuning frequency most efficiently if you would continue decreasing the surface area, but on the other Hand maybe the surface area at the port beginning would be too small then and cause air noises so, I would keep it the same area and just extend it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply