Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12" W bin advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hz so good Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12" W bin advice
    Posted: 31 January 2018 at 10:12am
Been looking at fane W bins in the construction manual, it shows a W bin that you can either load with a 15" or 12" driver and suggests adding horns for use in full range systems,

would it be possible to load one of these with a 12" driver and cross over at around 160hz at the low end, and integrate the horn as per the drawings suggest with a suitable CD and horn and cross those over at around 1.6khz, 

My preference is leaning towards using 12" drivers as this can perform faster for mid top duties, 

done a few sketches and they very slightly resemble EV eliminator 1a's, aesthetically that is, 
if the horn was mounted in the mouth area instead of the rear chamber, 

Has anyone seen or more importantly heard these style of cabs in action, 

Thanks in advance for any advice on this,  

Cheers  
Hz so good View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hz so good Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 10:49am
Hi mate I'm not hoping for this to be a sub, I would put this above say some es18 bins, so it would be a mid top hence the 12" driver,  

Sorry I should have titled this post 12 W bin mid top 

Edited by Hz so good - 31 January 2018 at 10:53am
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Hz so good Hz so good wrote:

Hi mate I'm not hoping for this to be a sub, I would put this above say some es18 bins, so it would be a mid top hence the 12" driver,  

Sorry I should have titled this post 12 W bin mid top 

Normally it's considered that putting bends or folds in a mid has a very high chance of ruining the sound quality of the mids, especially if you use them as high as 1k6. Have a look at Peter Morris's dual 12 horn loaded mid-highs on SFN for one way to do it well - unfortunately it's very expensive.

Realistically, you're better choosing a straight horn if it's going to go any higher than a few hundred Hz.

HTH,
David.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hz so good Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 1:26pm
how low do CDs and horns go realistically,  would it be an option to find one that can go down lower to meet the mid say to 600hz, 

Cheers  
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 1:59pm
The BMS Peter Morris uses can do that, one or two of the larger RCF & B&C get close too - I think RCF use a 650Hz XO in a couple of their own active 2way cabs like the TT5A for example.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 3:19pm

Been looking at fane W bins in the construction manual, it shows a W bin that you can either load with a 15" or 12" driver and suggests adding horns for use in full range systems,
If you do you need a midrange horn and one for highs too.

would it be possible to load one of these with a 12" driver and cross over at around 160hz at the low end,
A folded bass horn like this has a highend limit of about 160hz so no you can't use it as a mid horn.

My preference is leaning towards using 12" drivers as this can perform faster for mid top duties,
This is audiofool nonsense and suggests you have little experience with pro sound drivers, A 12" pro drive does make a good mid but it needs to be direct radiating or in a straight horn to be able to operate high enough to cross over to a hi frequency CD.

done a few sketches and they very slightly resemble EV eliminator 1a's, aesthetically that is, if the horn was mounted in the mouth area instead of the rear chamber, 

Has anyone seen or more importantly heard these style of cabs in action,
Yes.. they suck badly with muddy indiscript mids so many were modified to include a mid horn.
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 3:26pm
I've got a pair of the fane W bins I made some years back in my lockup, I believe there may be build pics on here somewhere.
100% Earth Moving Bass

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hz so good Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2018 at 6:31pm
thank you for your detailed response conanski, I was wondering why I hadn't seen many cabs like that, at least I can chalk it off now an for definite know it ain't gonna work, 

Post Reply Post Reply