Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp watts needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub Koala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amp watts needed
    Posted: 07 February 2018 at 7:54am
I am in need of an amp to run 4 x 1000w V18 1000 loaded scoop cabinets.  I have been given advice by others but thought I'd put it out to the users on here for advice too.

How many watts would I need to run these on a single amp?

Any suggestions on how I would set it up if I were you?

Cheers,

Dub K
Sirius Sounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sirius Sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2018 at 12:56pm
Hi, I would recommend Crest 9001 and to run two drivers from each channel.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2018 at 2:17am
Originally posted by Dub Koala Dub Koala wrote:

How many watts would I need to run these on a single amp?

You don't "need" any minimum size amp but to get the most out of the drivers you will want at least 1000w/driver IMO. What you will need are some good limiters and a good understanding of the crest factor of the program material these speakers will see and how to set those limiters to keep the drivers safe.

Also note that AES does not equal RMS despite many retailers substituting the terms as if they were. The AES spec uses a pink noise signal with 6dB crest factor so the RMS level of that signal is 6dB below peak. So if you were to compare a 1000w AES signal and a 1000w sine wave the AES signal has a 250w RMS level while the sine wave has a 707w RMS level. BIG difference... something you need to be aware of when setting limiters for speakers where voice coil heating from sustained synth tones will be a common occurrence.

Edited by Conanski - 08 February 2018 at 2:42am
 Post Reply Post Reply