Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

QSC Power Light 6.0 PFC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINTEVENTRESOURCES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: QSC Power Light 6.0 PFC
    Posted: 12 February 2018 at 5:20pm
Hello All, 

I am having a slight issue with the QSC PL 6.0 PFC. It's input sensitivity is high therefore, my BSS Omni Drive 366T is not able to correctly drive the input of the amp. If I use the DBX 4800 I can select the output to be 22 versus the BSS 20 max output. Has anyone run into this issue? Solved it? Modified the input stage on the QSC? Any feedback would be very helpful, thanks. 
Mint Event Resources
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 1:34pm
The QSC has a rated sensitivity for full power into 8Ω loads of 2.7V, or +10.8dBu. (It will be marginally lower than this for 4Ω operation.) Your Omnidrive should therefore still have over 9dB headroom when the amp is at it's max.

In other words, your problem is elsewhere. Are you sure there's no setting in the Omnidrive that's reducing the signal level which you may have overlooked?

HTH,
David.
MINTEVENTRESOURCES View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINTEVENTRESOURCES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 3:39pm
Thanks,

I will take a look. It was a used unit. I think I will restore it to factory settings which would wipe out any programmed restrictions and give that a shot. 
Mint Event Resources

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINTEVENTRESOURCES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 5:32pm
Anyone else using this combination for subs? 

BSS Omni Drive 366T
QSC Powerlight 6.0 PFC 
Bridge Mono 4 ohms 
I am using scoops 2 per amp
Mint Event Resources
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by MINTEVENTRESOURCES MINTEVENTRESOURCES wrote:

Thanks,

I will take a look. It was a used unit. I think I will restore it to factory settings which would wipe out any programmed restrictions and give that a shot. 

You shouldn't have to go that far - just look through all the settings one by one and check that A: you don't have the gain for the sub outputs set too low relative to your other bandpasses and B: you're not running the HPF and LPF for this bandpass too close together (especially if Linkwitz-Reilly filters are being used, as these can easily start to overlap mid-band and rob you of level).
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 1:21pm
Friend owns BSS 366T, and never had any problems driving varied types of amps.

Follow previous directions, also checking any active limiter settings.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
taurusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 6:11pm
Just to be a bit dense here: Have U tried the gain pots on the PL at max (i.e., fully clockwise)?

We have a lotta "soundmen' here that think amplifier gain controls shouldn't pass the 11 O'clock position and therefore have to drive hell out of the frontend...

Edited by taurusty - 15 February 2018 at 6:13pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINTEVENTRESOURCES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by taurusty taurusty wrote:

Just to be a bit dense here: Have U tried the gain pots on the PL at max (i.e., fully clockwise)?

We have a lotta "soundmen' here that think amplifier gain controls shouldn't pass the 11 O'clock position and therefore have to drive hell out of the frontend...

Hello,

Just to level the playing field. I am a very experienced sound man or engineer as I call it. I always run my amps at full gain and back the signal off from the processor. Bass is always sent via aux from my mixing console. The gain isn’t the issue as this problem I am facing doesn’t happen with the DBX 4800 only BSS products. I had an associate who experienced a similar problem. He then switched to Powersoft and I prefer not to.
Mint Event Resources
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2018 at 2:12pm

Your problem may lie from the source before the BSS Omnidrive. The QSC 6.0 only requires an input voltage of 2.4 volts to attain maximum output and, the BSS offers a maximum output of 7.7 volts which is common with a lot LMS devices . You need to pull out your multimeter and check the output voltage from your BSS in addition to whatever you have sending the signal to the BSS. 

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINTEVENTRESOURCES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2018 at 6:08pm
Signal coming is perfect. Coming from Soundcraft Expression 3. I will have another look at the output settings.
Mint Event Resources
 Post Reply Post Reply