Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

G-Sub Ergonomics?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2018 at 2:01pm
Well if you cutoff an edge it will affect the volume, I fear that would impact the cab performance?
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2018 at 2:18pm
Got a point there , visualized the plan as having corner braces as scoops. Having looked at it thats not the case Smile

bmholbro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmholbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2018 at 2:36pm
Thanks, 75kg isn't unwieldly at all.  I was doing some rough estimates and hoping that was the result, but it is hard to picture what all the glues and little stuff could add in that I wasn't thinking.

Dreadnaught
Panther City Productions
bmholbro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmholbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2018 at 2:38pm
Yeah, I was not keen on the idea of cutting an angle into the corner for volume concerns.  These don't seem like the biggest boxes to begin with.
Dreadnaught
Panther City Productions
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2018 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by bmholbro bmholbro wrote:

Thanks, 75kg isn't unwieldly at all.  I was doing some rough estimates and hoping that was the result, but it is hard to picture what all the glues and little stuff could add in that I wasn't thinking.

You're welcome. 
The assumptions I made were timber & drivers as already stated, 3kg for a grille (1.6mm thick & 60% open area) and 3kg for everything else. That leaves quite a bit of wiggle room in there if you used a much more robust coating, or millions of screws for example, before the weight gets out of hand

Originally posted by bmholbro bmholbro wrote:

Yeah, I was not keen on the idea of cutting an angle into the corner for volume concerns.  These don't seem like the biggest boxes to begin with.

They are quite small for a 218 but it's perfectly OK to increase one other dimension if you do cut a corner.
You'd only need to make the cabinet about 18mm deeper to accommodate a big enough corner to mount 100mm wheels without loss of internal volume for example.

Cheers,
David.
bmholbro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmholbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2018 at 2:54pm
Many thanks David, yes I was going to use Bed liner material so know that will add some mass.

Time to get to measuring the space in my big expedition.
Dreadnaught
Panther City Productions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12