Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stairville mover repair advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stairville mover repair advice
    Posted: 18 February 2018 at 3:44pm
hey all

Borrowed a set of 6 Stairville MH-100 Beam moving heads from a friend to help out with a little show I was running. Out of the six, five seemed to initially work with one not starting up. As I was setting them up and programming them two more developed faults and also stopped working. Wasn't an important show and 3 got me through. 

Now I know they're pretty cheap and maybe not worth repairing, but was gonna have a go anyway and see if it was anything simple. 

Two seem to have a power supply problem. They click on every second or two, trying to boot up then powering off over and over again, almost like a florescent light with a broken starter. 

The third just displays a blank little LED screen with a row of hashes on it, and I assumed it was a broken Rom chip or something that was preventing it from booting, but i noticed when disconnected if you spin it round by hand and the motors generate current that goes back into the system it starts the process of booting normally, the lights come one and normal boot writing appears on the LED screen. So again seems like a power supply issue.

Gonna try and strip them down through the week and have a look, see if there's anything obvious I can see that's broken, but I'm not an electrical engineer or anything or massively experienced with repairing actual circuit components etc, so any advice on what to look for or how to approach it?

mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 9:41pm
send them to someone who knows their way around moving fixtures. Nothing worse than trying to repair a unit which has been tinkered with unproductively!
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2018 at 1:06pm
I've got some Chinese unbranded versions of those but with 7x10WRGBW LEDs
I go through PSU regularly and its usually the symptoms you describe with the flickering screen and stuttering.
change the PSU on all 3 of them and go from there.

If you are buying PSU then get some spares whilst you're at it, as they're basically consumables. They'll probably come from China and I found that Aliexpress was about double the price that my supplier was charging (~15USD/piece iirc)

Make sure you get the voltage/current on the rails correct. you can get an identical looking PSU but with the max current on the rails reversed, so not enough current to drive the head.

Edited by norty303 - 19 February 2018 at 1:07pm
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2018 at 1:09pm
Also Thomann give 3 years warranty on most stuff I think, so might be worth getting the owner to speak to Customer Services to see if they can supply warranty replacement PSU. I bet they know about the problem.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
 Post Reply Post Reply