Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mids and highs to go with HD15’s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2004 at 4:49pm

Sorry for the double post, here's what it should have been.

Originally posted by owentec owentec wrote:

Matieo,

Most flashlight systems use THL-2's, which are an 811 with a vented 15".

Owen

Errr, no.

Most Flashlight systems use Flashlights. Otherwise, they wouldn't be Flashlight systems ;-)

(Flashlight was Turbo's previous flagship array system, w horn loaded 12, 6.5 and 1 drivers set up for narrow dispersion (25*20degrees, IIRC))

THL2s aren't the same as an 811 with an added bass section either - the THL2 has a 6.5" mid, while the 811 has a 10". The 811 has 55*40 dispersion, the THL2 has 90*40.

The box you're probably thinking of (811-type mid-high components + added bass) is the THL4.3, and it's a horn loaded 18 under the 10 mid.

Hopefully, that might deconfuse Matieo a wee bit.

Cheers,

David.

owentec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote owentec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2004 at 10:19pm

Sorry... ignore me, I obviously hadn't woken up properly this morning!

1) I meant to say Hilight, not Flashlight. Oops
2) I was wrong about the THL2 thing as well... that's what happens when you don't check your facts properly!
3) Having gone and looked at Turbo's site, and properly remembered what a thl811 is... Yes, I have actually mixed on them a couple of times, with thl828 subs, and they sounded fine to me in the low mid region!

So, making a complete U-turn, I think they will work well with HD15's. Should make a really scaleable lightweight rig. You should probably try for yourself before you buy though.

Sorry again for adding confusion,

Owen

matt andrews View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt andrews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2004 at 1:32pm
All sounds good, will try to play with some THL811's

Matt
miniphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miniphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2004 at 4:02pm

Originally posted by matieo matieo wrote:

I am a touch confused by this, according to the datasheet turbo appear to suggest a crossover point of 180Hz for the THL 811's (to THL818's etc). The response graph thingys seem to show it looking ok....

http://www.turbosound.com/pdfs/thl811.pdf

Is there somthing I am missing or perhaps the HiLight series is different. Is it that the THL does go down to 180 fine but is distorted below 350?

Matt

I'm aware of what it says on Turbo's specs, but I have also experimented with said speakers. While the 811 will go down to 180Hz, it sounds arse and will only throw the sound a few metres. Better to filter it out and use something in between

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12