Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8 ohm fane sb1000 measuring at 4 ohms!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natedub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8 ohm fane sb1000 measuring at 4 ohms!
    Posted: 01 March 2018 at 6:46pm
I am refurbishing my old 218's that are loaded with fane sb1000. When I had the cabs made I was told they were loaded with new 8ohm fane sb1000 x2 per cab. Each cab is supposed to be 4ohms (2x 8ohm in parallel) When I stripped them out to paint I noticed the wiring appears to be in series. The drivers still have the original stickers and all say 8 ohms but when I measured them with my meter they all read exactly 4ohms! Now I realise that impedance and static resistance isnt the same and they probably read lower than 8ohms but seriously 4ohms?? Anyone else found this? I dont know what to do. I dont want an 8ohm load as they will be underpowered but if I wire in parallel then it will be 2ohms! Any insights? I am thinking all 4 must be mislabelled but seems unlikely?
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2018 at 8:55pm
anywhere between 4-6 Ohms DC Resistance is very believable for an 8R driver :)

Only way to really be sure is to run a sinewave sweep and get an impedance plot done (I think REW has this functionality? if not theres a few of the PHAT CAR CHOONZ brigade using similar software to measure T/S parameters, Impednace, etc.)
Natedub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natedub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2018 at 10:14pm
Thanks for your reply, that puts my mind at rest. I have seen 5-6 ohms on 8ohm driver but never as low as 4ohm before. Learning all the time
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2018 at 5:13am
They're all "Nominal" ratings... look at the rated impedance plot for most drivers.

They just have to stick the label for the nearest standard of speaker impedance on it for marketing

Post Reply Post Reply