Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please explain MONO levels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2018 at 9:02pm
If I go fron the Z8II which is 1 pcs MONO OUT do I need to have a split cable to put it into for example cx163 line in or a dj mixers line in? Or can I just connect to left or right?
serioussound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 10:48am
What about using a qsc touchmix 8 for setting up zones and remote controls?
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 12:45pm
Firstly, much as I love and have installed bucket loads of Cloud over the years, for the money, so much better featured stuff is available.

If you want to stick with Cloud, LM2 plates for the Mk4 Z8 give remote in, local zone volume control, and source select "in zone". Older Z8mk2 (i think what you have) used the older plates, but a RSL6 plate gives remote level control of zone and remote source selection.

For install these days, very often a QuPac does a shed load more. Remote iPad control over wifi, with customisable widget based screen, 16+3Stx12 local, with a further 16/8 off Cat 5 and remote stagebox. WAV on stick for BGM. Effectively a Qu32 in a 4U Rackmount enclosure.

I have been wanging them in churches, as it has a decent enough AMM, and you can lock it up, so they can only access certain pre determined scenes (1-Lectern and 2 Lapels, 2-Lectern and 1 lapel and 1 H/H, 3-etc), with basic control. Loads of EQ/Gate/Comp on channel, shed loads of toys on O/P inc delay, etc.

Wifi Basic app is a joy, simple to programme, and damned affordable. For trusted users, super app gives full access, behind a password!

If you want wired remote control iDR8 is a bit long in the tooth now, but expanded up gives 16x16, with some very nice remote control plate options. Bit of clever programming and "JD and Coke". BSS range is nice, if pricey, but thorough, as is many rivals - Bi-amp Audia, QSC Q-Core, etc.

Sounds like the simplicity of Cloud's offerings is biting you on the arse. I have really struggled recently to find an exact cloud product that actually fully fulfilled my design brief, and so moved on.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 8:10pm
Ohhh the Qu-pac looks intresting maybe you can answer some questions?

Is it possible to use a pc instead of an Ipad?

How many stereo inputs like laptop, mp3 player and so on can I get from this mixer? And can these inputs individually be routed to different outputs?

There is no way to change song from a USB stick remotely on the Ipadapp?

Is the Qu-pac the best priced unit of the ones you are listing?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 10:47am
Originally posted by serioussound serioussound wrote:

Ohhh the Qu-pac looks intresting maybe you can answer some questions?

Is it possible to use a pc instead of an Ipad?

How many stereo inputs like laptop, mp3 player and so on can I get from this mixer? And can these inputs individually be routed to different outputs?

There is no way to change song from a USB stick remotely on the Ipadapp?

Is the Qu-pac the best priced unit of the ones you are listing?
iPad apps only.

3 dedicated stereo ins, one of which you patch USB audio (wav) to. But with 32 Mic/line nothing stopping you from using 2 mono i/p, and panning L/R before sending to Mix outputs.

Any input can be routed pre/post at any level you choose, to any Mix output, so Main LR, Mono Mix 1 -4 then Stereo Mix out 5/6, 7/8, 9/10.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 10:57am
Ok and if I want some manual control like a Pioneer dj control I can have this on 1 of the inputs?

I dont really understand the scenes? Can I make different preset scenes like background music in all zones and DJ and live band for example?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2018 at 5:29pm
Need to ask you this.

Since I only need Mono out. Ist it possible to make the stereo outs into a mono out?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 9:57am
On the mono outs (Mix1-4) any stereo content is summed to mono.

If you use 2 mono line ins for a stereo input, and do not pan them, then there content is effectively mixed to mono, and any "Stereo" output will have identical content on both L or R output.

Putting a Stereo source into a dedicated stereo input, will preserve stereo throughout, and whilst mixed to mono on mix 1-4, will still be stereo on any stereo enabled output, such as LR, Mix 5/6, 7/8, 9/10.

However, pretty straight-forward to mix to mono before going into mixer, simple resistor scheme, to combine L+R content to one mono signal. Just don't get mono balanced and stereo mixed up, same connector whole loads of inversion to get wrong.

Why the obsession with mono? Bass, I grant you, being of such a long wavelength to make directionality difficult to pinpoint, and room effects simplified in mono, then yes. But Mid top in mono just sounds a bit bland, flat if you will?

To be honest, looks like the system is overly complicated, as when it was first done, to achieve what you wanted was only really possible with multiple expensive TC-IP DSP, or a very mind numbing analogue system. These days prices for decent DSP and mixers has dropped. I used to have to do some very weird clever shizzle with cloud stuff to meet a client brief and budget, but these days there are so many ways to do it simply, and correctly, and still meet a budget. Amp channels are cheap, so stereo is not expensive.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 10:54am
Here is what I want to do but can you explain what it really means. I dont really get it.

https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/mono-the-5-6-7-8-9-10-stereo-mixes
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 11:27am
Unless you pan an input left or right, then the stereo mixes will be effectively dual mono anyway!

You can also take a stereo out, wang it through a simple resistor network to simply mono sum it. Or mono up stereo sources, in the same way, to feed them through a mono line input.

Electronically, you can feed the signals through a virtual mono group, and bounce that out to a mix, forcing that signal to appear on both L+R XLR equally, but could be a ball ache.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2018 at 11:35am
Ok so problem comes if I want a stereo input to be stereo on some stereo outs and mono summed on some stereo outs? :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123