Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kappa 15A vs 15LF?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kappa 15A vs 15LF?
    Posted: 19 March 2018 at 10:52am
Hi all,
We are currently building our first small rig made up of 2 Void loaded Hogs, an HD215 and a set of mid/tops we already have. A steep learning curve!
We have easy access to a set of Eminence Kappa 15A drivers, so my question is, are these adequate or should we stick with the recommended 15LF drivers?
Comparing the two, my untrained eye sees the only differences being one is 450W and the other 600W, and I don't know what the frequency response graphs on the Eminence website for each are based on.
Any help appreciated, thanks!

Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 11:52am
The Kappa 15A has very low xmax, it is a kind of mid range 15 not a bass driver, i tried them in HD15s years ago, they sound ok but wont take much power to reach xmax, i would stick with the Kappa LF.  Fane sov 15-600LF should also work well for a budget driver.  
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Tom66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 12:44pm
Thanks! Xmax being 4mm and 5.5mm respectively, correct?

Edited by Tom66 - 19 March 2018 at 12:56pm
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 4:08pm
Yes on the Xmax values.

Every doubling of Xmax gives you a theoretical 6 dB extra output, which will double the intensity at low frequency ranges and represents a factor 4 in the power it will handle. So there's a big difference between a driver with 4 mm and 8 mm Xmax. The 1.5 difference might equate up to a few hundred Watts.

However the Xmech on both drivers is rather low and doesn't leave much room for error and you won't be able to see the driver (making funny moves) or might not hear it's distress clearly, due to the band pass effect reducing the harmonic distortion.

The Kappa Pro 15LF has 6.7 mm Xmax and 18 mm Xmech and is only 30 quid more, so I would say Kappa Pro 15LF - Kappa 15LF - Kappa Pro 15A, in that order.

bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 6:30pm
oberton 15b450 sounds great in hd15s.. imo
Tom66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 7:50am
Thanks for the input guys
 Post Reply Post Reply