Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amplifier specified 4 Ohm into 2 Ohm?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2018 at 6:34am
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

If you want to run 2 cabs on each amp in bridge mode and they're only seeing 30w amp power each, you could do a lot better by just selling these RCF amps on eBay (where they should fetch more than their watt rating alone would warrant due to 100v line and other features (are any of these critical to you?) and spend whatever you get on a couple of used ~300-1000wpc amps. Even if you need the signal to be split for processing purposes you could pick up 3x 300-400wpc amps and run 2 speakers on each channel.

The amps are mono so there's no bridging involved. Still good advice about selling them on.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2018 at 9:46am
How many do you actually need to run?

Could run them series parallel and hang 6 or 8 of them off a single two channel amp that you could pick up for cheap.

I run some numark dimension 4 that are rated 660w per channel at 4ohm or 1900w 4ohm bridged. Take the numbers with a pinch of salt if you will, but the regularly come up for £120 in the uk. Im sure others will be able to suggest other options.
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2018 at 1:55pm
Those amps are 100V line mixer amplifiers, that just happen to let you use the pre-transformer low impedance "tap" at 4 Ohm.

For there purpose of powering up 15, 6 Watt 100V line ceiling speakers in a corridor for paging mic use, lovely. For any other purpose, totally useless.

Any amp can be connected to a 2 or even 1 ohm load. However, as you start to turn it up, the output stage will develop more heat than the cooling systems can handle, or the power supply can supply, and it all goes melty, distorted, and, if your lucky fuses and PTCs will pop before the silicon devices catch fire.

In short, these amps are wholly inappropriate for what you are trying to do. Flog them off to someone who actually needs background music in a restaurant or dentists waiting room, and buy a correct, low impedance designed power amplifier.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
serioussound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2018 at 7:53pm
Ok I understand what you mean. I thought that the rcf amplifiers was good but mono.

I have a couple of these laying around. I have also many Ashly SRA-4075 laying around would these be better putting only 1 speaker per channel. RCF speaker MR 55 is 4 Ohm.

Many amplifiers simplifys zoning everything with different levels I think.
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2018 at 9:29pm
OK, curve ball suggestion that might work or might kill you;
Strap* two mono amplifiers together, give one a signal that's out of phase with the other and use the + outputs on each amp as if they were + & - on a single amp. I think you need to 'strap' the earths together too, but you really shouldn't attempt this until someone less out of it than me has spotted the fatal error/omission above...

*Like bridging a stereo amplifier, but without the convenience of a bridge switch (and the knowledge that the magic smoke won't escape). At your own risk etc.

valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2018 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by I-shen Soundboy I-shen Soundboy wrote:

OK, curve ball suggestion that might work or might kill you;
Strap* two mono amplifiers together, give one a signal that's out of phase with the other and use the + outputs on each amp as if they were + & - on a single amp. I think you need to 'strap' the earths together too, but you really shouldn't attempt this until someone less out of it than me has spotted the fatal error/omission above...

*Like bridging a stereo amplifier, but without the convenience of a bridge switch (and the knowledge that the magic smoke won't escape). At your own risk etc.

Have you tried this yourself, and if you have, how did it go (end)!!!???
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2018 at 11:13pm
I spent a while trying to get two Kenwoods to party together, but they drew too much DC from my supply for me to want to continue. No magic smoke though.

It was a common trick with car bass amps, some of which were sold with strapping in mind. Nowadays a lot of class-D amplifiers come pre bridged, so not a good idea double-bridging. But for getting some power out of two identical but crappy monoblocs...

Generally not a good idee due to potential for catastrophic fuckup, but essentially it's wiring up a stereo bridged amp from two mono amps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12