Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just picked up a bundle of lights..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just picked up a bundle of lights..
    Posted: 17 April 2018 at 3:46pm
Had a half decent rig for a couple of years but no lights.
A mate of mine was selling up so I bought a bundle of lighting gear off him.
It's not amazing, but after looking at what they were going for on ebay, I got them for a reasonable price and all working. When I buy stuff used online 50% of it arrives not working at all or correctly- I suspect 25% is broken already and 25% is broken by the couriers. As such when a bundle to get my started comes up locally I will have a go if the price is fair.

1 QTFX 2000 smoke machine
1 Chauvet Cubix 2.0
1 Chauvet Megatrix
1 KAM Laserscan 1000 3D

£350

Average ebay prices if all bought separately would be around £450

Hopefully this lot will create a bit of an atmosphere for my 10k rig.

Anyone got any suggestions of cheap/ easy ways of supporting these lights? Stands etc?
He also has some alloy trussing for sale... useful?

Any suggestions appreciated, apart from "sell it and buy better".... it'll do the job for when I occasionally need lights and I remember going to the club where he had the above installed and it was alright!
cheers

mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2018 at 4:03pm
i have some ADJ versions of the 'megatrix', which all considered are pretty bright, light, cheap and bomb proof. They are my go too light for small venues/pubs where budget is non existent! For a 'floor filler' you cant complain at all.

Rigging wise, i would suggest having a chauvet per side of the DJ, on two tripods or strapped well to the top of stacks (2nd option isn't right or proper, but lots of people do it anyway - make sure it wont go anywhere!!), then have the laser on a high tripod behind the DJ/s or in the middleish, well out of the way & above peoples eyes, etc etc etc.

truss etc is a pretty unnecessary expenditure & logistical pain in the arse at this stage in the game if im honest, i would save that money for more lights!!
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
charlysays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2018 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

i have some ADJ versions of the 'megatrix', which all considered are pretty bright, light, cheap and bomb proof. They are my go too light for small venues/pubs where budget is non existent! For a 'floor filler' you cant complain at all.

Rigging wise, i would suggest having a chauvet per side of the DJ, on two tripods or strapped well to the top of stacks (2nd option isn't right or proper, but lots of people do it anyway - make sure it wont go anywhere!!), then have the laser on a high tripod behind the DJ/s or in the middleish, well out of the way & above peoples eyes, etc etc etc.

truss etc is a pretty unnecessary expenditure & logistical pain in the arse at this stage in the game if im honest, i would save that money for more lights!!

Thanks for the tips man.
Yeah I didn't really look up any reviews etc, just average sold prices on ebay, my memory of them in a venue and went ahead based on that. They'll do the job I think :) They are light but solid as you say and bright. The smoke machine is a bit of a lump mind.

So as a minimum I need 2-3 T bar tripods, atleast one which can go to 3m to get the laser high enough? There's a lot of cheapo ones on ebay.
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2018 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by charlysays charlysays wrote:

So as a minimum I need 2-3 T bar tripods, at least one which can go to 3m to get the laser high enough? There's a lot of cheapo ones on ebay.

Be careful with the cheap ones, the ones I got where quite frankly not fit for purpose (wouldn't hold the weight of the lights) and while they would accept a return, I had to pay postage so would have only got a couple of quid back. I found the gorilla stands to be much better personally

Woah - size of the smoke machine LOL I thought mine was a bit OTT 

Edited by IainB - 18 April 2018 at 2:28pm
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2018 at 2:22pm
+1 on not buying crap stands. 

I think the lazer is similar to mine, spec sheet gives safe distances, basically 3m and level is the set up. 

Run through the dmx stuff and you'll find an x+y pattern with a central cross for targeting the centre that makes it a doddle to set up safely. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2018 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by IainB IainB wrote:

Originally posted by charlysays charlysays wrote:

So as a minimum I need 2-3 T bar tripods, at least one which can go to 3m to get the laser high enough? There's a lot of cheapo ones on ebay.

Be careful with the cheap ones, the ones I got where quite frankly not fit for purpose (wouldn't hold the weight of the lights) and while they would accept a return, I had to pay postage so would have only got a couple of quid back. I found the gorilla stands to be much better personally

Woah - size of the smoke machine LOL I thought mine was a bit OTT 

Cool, I'll get some gorilla stands then :)

My speaker stands are those cheap gravity ones from thomann and they feel dangerous with 25kg speakers... and they are rated for 50kg so long as it's centered!!

Yeah the smoke machine is enormous lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlysays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 9:47am
so the same guy has offered me an ADJ LED UV GO... for 50 quid. Works fine. May as well? It's an old model but the current equivalent retails for about £130 I think.

With regards stands, how do these look?

For the lights:

This is the only non super cheapo but also not super expensive one I can find for the laser, which goes up to 3m high:

norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2018 at 12:20pm
Do yourself a favour and buy some wind up stands.
You'll thank yourself in years to come.
Maybe look for something that can be used as a truss lift if you want to grow what you're doing, rather than getting rid and starting all over again.
The Millenium BLS-2700 from Thomann did me great for some years and has a good solid base and leg width, and legs that come a reasonable way up the centre pole.

Even if you're not going for a lift, have a look at what offerings Thomann have, they're often the best deal around.

If you weren't so far away I've probably got some stuff I could sell you...

Edited by norty303 - 26 April 2018 at 12:21pm
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
 Post Reply Post Reply