Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Outdoor Speaker recommendation?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outdoor Speaker recommendation?
    Posted: 19 April 2018 at 7:11pm
Hey SP Hive mind...
I'm looking for a recommendation for nice a sounding active outdoor Speaker.
They're  going on a small roof terrace and will be wall mounted outside 365/24/7 slightly under cover out of direct Rain.
Ta very much.

My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 12:14am
Does it really have to be active? 

Even with a bit of cover you're not going to want an IEC power cable going in the back of it with rain blowing around  and that' going to limit your options significantly.

IP rated passive speakers gives you lots of options and even un-rated passive speakers  are not going to carry the risk of 240v outside.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
partya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote partya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 4:36am
Where's your source coming from? Passive would also be better if you're getting your signal from a fair distance away. 

You need pretty good shelter to run active outside (from expensive experience....).
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 6:56am
Sh*t yes you’re right...I hadn’t really thought that through properly. 
It’s a space issue really. 
There is a small sound system inside with 4 Channel Amp but I’d struggle to find space for another rack mount Amp for the outside Speakers. 
I could possibly use a small Hifi Amp, it’s only a small outdoor space. 
Ok...Passive IP rated Speaker recommendations please. 
bassdesigner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassdesigner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 7:15am
Apart mask 6
4AC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4AC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 9:32am
Maybe you should look at a Lab.Gruppen Lucia amplifier, very small and thus easy to find a space for. You can just put them on top of a shelve, mount them on a wall, or even mount them on a pole with a bracket. It has very acceptable sound quality and a built-in DSP, allowing to tweak the sound to your taste, or with presets for Tannoy and Turbosound speakers. It also has some kind of loudness function which adapts to the volume level, can be usefull in some applications (to prevent the common thin sound on low levels). Not the most affordable option though, ofcourse you also pay for the nametag on the front.

Tannoy DVS is IP64 rated and the AMS range is IP65 rated. AMS range is stupidly expensive but uses the same tannoy dual concentric as they have in some hifi speakers.
Based on your info, I think even IP54 might already be sufficient, so maybe a cheaper alternative is the best option for you.

If it has to be dirt cheap, Apart Audio has plenty of options I believe.
uǝɿɿɐʌǝ6ɯo sı ʇsʞǝʇ ǝzǝp
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 9:39am
excellent thanks. 
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 10:11am
I have some Tannoy i6AW (all weather), which I bought as a job lot. They are unused but don't have the brackets. Any interest?
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 10:40am
Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

I have some Tannoy i6AW (all weather), which I bought as a job lot. They are unused but don't have the brackets. Any interest?

Yes Markie....I'll message you. Ta
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 4:11pm
outdoor actives = One Systems
(Or passives to be fair!)
Cruise ship proof.

Or Martin CDD-WR, or Apart.
 Post Reply Post Reply