Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shure to discontinue phono products

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shure to discontinue phono products
    Posted: 02 May 2018 at 11:44am
https://www.shure.eu/company/press/2018/phono-statement

SHURE STATEMENT REGARDING THE DISCONTINUATION OF PHONO PRODUCTS.

For more than 90 years, Shure has been committed to manufacturing and delivering products of the highest quality, reliability, and value.  This commitment requires consistency in materials, processes, and testing, as well the capacity to react to fluctuations in demand.

In recent years, the ability to maintain our exacting standards in the Phonograph Cartridge product category has been challenged, resulting in cost and delivery impacts that are inconsistent with the Shure brand promise.

In light of these conditions, and after thorough evaluation, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue production of Shure Phono products effective Summer 2018. 

Given our decades-long history of participation in the Phono category, we recognize that this decision may come as a disappointment to our channel partners and end users. "

kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 11:58am
Shame,  447 was my goto cart.

k

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 02 May 2018 at 11:58am
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 12:15pm
Seems like a bonkers thing to do when vinyl sales are still rising strongly and they're a market leader.

Wait for the outcry and then more than quadruple the price like Technics did?
Don't test the champignon sound
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Meat Meat wrote:

Seems like a bonkers thing to do when vinyl sales are still rising strongly and they're a market leader.

Wait for the outcry and then more than quadruple the price like Technics did?

^^^ This!
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 9:12pm
to be fair to technics, the new decks are engineered to a substantially higher standard than the older, already great quality products. Ive got a SL1200G in my front room and it is a bargain compared with the loathsome pioneer cdj2000's that sit on my hire shelves ( and frequently in my repair room)

I guess i will have to stock up on 44-7 styli , decks don't go out a whole lot these days, but i'd rather listen to the shure than most of the other DJ offerings.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 11:19pm
Despite the rise of vinyl sales, I can’t ever see the majority going back to using vinyl. Inevitable that those carts were not going to be cost effective to produce anymore. Shame really as I’m from a time when turntables was all there was and I still love using my 1210’s
100% Earth Moving Bass
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 11:13am
Equally odd timing given Gibson's issues (Stanton's "Owner").

Not exactly something that takes up a lot of 40ft container space, or warehouse space, yet good margin, and little to go wrong, as long as decent QA at point of manufacture. And they wear out with use! Almost a perfect product!

So that pretty much leaves Ortofon in the DJ stakes? What else is there given Stanton is dead, and Shure is dieing?
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
 Post Reply Post Reply