Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blocking up ports to make sealed box.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolymorphicMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blocking up ports to make sealed box.
    Posted: 05 May 2018 at 1:01pm
I have a pair of bass reflex  cabs using dual RCF L15P200's at 158L. I want o experiment using them as sealed cabs above some double 18 bass flex. My question is whats the best way to block up shelf ports temporarily? I was thinks about some sort of closed cell solid foam. I don’t want to screw board across the front as it will look naff.

If I just block the exit of port does the port does the volume of the port become part of the box volume? or will it just become a half wave resonator?
Free to do what i WANT
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 1:10pm
foam is the easy way. But also entertaining if it is not quite tight enough, pops out like a champagne cork.
In bass no one can hear you scream!
LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 12:44am
yes, get a very large piece of closed cell foam you have to very firmly squash and pack in  the slot!
Speaker addict
PolymorphicMark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolymorphicMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 9:44pm
Thanks for the answers

Free to do what i WANT
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 6:48am
How the port behaves as part of the enclosure volume will depend on how wide and how long it is. I would guess it's a sliding scale between acting fully as part of the enclosure volume (for a big open shelf) and hardly at all for a long thin bendy tube, but how the scale slides I have no idea. 
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 9:43am
oh I miss read that. 

If they are big rectangular ports, I would think about big foam block, squeezed in from inside the box. It won’t matter if there is any not squeezed in the port, it should help remove some of the boominess that wadding does.

You could staple it from inside too, to help keep it in place.
In bass no one can hear you scream!
 Post Reply Post Reply