Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Processing for small rig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 3:54am
Originally posted by MrScy MrScy wrote:

Lets assume I build 4 x ROAR15 and 2 Peter Morris dual 12", what would make a clearer natural sound? Analog mixing desk with old school style outboard gear or digital mixer + DCX ?

I have a DCX in my large system with rack amps powering passive speakers and I also have some very nice self powered PA speakers from Yamaha(DXR) and EV (EKX), and I think the DCX processed system sounds best of all of them. The Nexo based FIR processing in the Yamahas is arguably a step above the DCX processing but the driver compliment in those passive speakers is what makes the difference, big expensive(high quality) drivers trump processing and everything else upstream of it every time. So I suggest you spend most of your time and money selecting the best quality drivers for whatever speaker system you decide on, then as long as you select decent quality electronics to put behind it you won't hear any difference or if there is a difference it will be very very subtle.. it's more about features and function.
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 11:24am
Loving my A&H Qu16 for a wide range of events, bands to conferences. Dinky little thing, that does rack mount, and just seems to always let you do whatever is needed.

Got a GLD112 for posher stuff, and they share the same stage boxes, which is convenient.

DCX is cheap, quite like the DB Mark stuff from Blue Aran too, got a 4:8 which has been flawless so far, with easy PC set-up GUI.

I would say keep it reflex for ease of scaling. Multiple 1x18 or 2x18, or 1x15/2x15 subs as takes your fancy, then 2x12+HF. 2 way, with passive 12"->HF X-over or 3 way active. Watts are cheap, reflex is damned convenient, at the expense of SPL gains of horn loaded designs.

IMHO, reflex loaded 12"s go low enough to meet bass, go high enough to 2" or 1.4" HF, and are well voiced for vocal. If you are considering ever needing multiple mid tops, go for a narrow dispersion horn in each box, so they will form some sort of coherancy when multiples used.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
MrScy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrScy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 2:06pm
Highly appreciated, thank you.

I really love the efficiency of horns and the way they lookCool

Edited by MrScy - 11 May 2018 at 2:11pm
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by MrScy MrScy wrote:

I really love the efficiency of horns and the way they lookCool

Not wrong, but at the expense of bandwidth, possibly size, certainly complexity, and a dark art to get right!

Efficiency is always my preference, but, the current fashion is for loadsa cheap watts, to get bandwidth and SPL...
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 3:42pm
If you're mostly doing small indoor gigs horns will pose an extra challenge, especially if you're not fixed to one regular venue - as Matt says, a dark art. 

Reflex efficiency indoors is really not as bad as some will suggest. There are box/driver combos which can get up to around 99dB sensitivity per driver, which goes up to 105dB in a corner, 108dB for doubles. You can get a lot of frequency extension in a small box with a reflex design, and by building them as 218's or 215's you basically halve your building expenses, which goes a long way towards making up for the extra spent on twice as many drivers.

Add those cheap Watts and modern high powered drivers to the mix and you can definitely go loud.

It is harder to get an imposing aesthetic from reflex, if that's what you're after, but it's possible with a little imagination. You could still horn load the tops which is what most people notice with small rigs.
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 9:52pm

If you are catering (note: getting paid) for your services, you need take into consideration your clients needs and requirements. The majority that are promoting smaller functions are not looking to have speakers to be the focal point of the venue.

This can play a tremendous factor why, they sought out your services than the next sound man. The performance level in terms of frequency bandwidth is going to be larger in size going from reflex cabinets to horn-loaded cabinets. Reflex cabinets offer a greater bandwidth in a smaller package.

Aesthetically, horns are only attractive to those who are into horns. There is a large majority of spectators that do not like the “Industrial look” horns present within their space. I cannot count the amount of times I received compliments from not only clients but, venue management for not toting “Concert Speakers” in the venue like the other guys do. This, in turn increases your referrals to get more dates.

Those comments would have differed if I carried my larger cabinets in the venue.

A smaller sound system should not look intimidating in the eyes of your clients for their smaller events unless, they hired you for a large event. Do not fall into the mentality of those who play out to please themselves aesthetically, and not the person who seek out your services.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12