Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Phasing issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phasing issues
    Posted: 08 May 2018 at 11:01pm
Its simple 889hz played on 2" compresion driver with horn. Around 12db/oct.
White one is generator, red mic input.
So which of those red waves does your group delay software refer to?Big smileEmbarrassed
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 1:01am
If you’re referring to dual channel FFT, both. It will compare the generated signal via loop back to the mic input, and display traces showing the difference between the two.
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 9:24am
Lol

Not totally sure what point your trying to make. And its interesting to see that your speaker (the red/pink trace as you say) seems to have been able to receive the signal and for that signal to then travel to the measurement mic and be picked up, all before the generator has actually started playing any signal! LOL i presume your delay time compensation isn't set quite right?

But in either case, as Kyle says the software simply compares the signal as generated at the mixing desk to the signal picked up by the microphone, and shows you the differences both in frequency and time/phase. 

What people do with that information and how you use it to correct (or mess up LOL) their sound is down to them.

k
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 2:28pm
Generator is delayed on this picture.

But in either case, as Kyle says the software simply compares the signal as generated at the mixing desk to the signal picked up by the microphone, and shows you the differences both in frequency and time/phase. 
Yes it shows difference in frequency in time but what does it mean if the speaker output wave looks like above. The frequency on the beggining is way higher then rest of the wave.

I suspect this hole distortion at the beggining of the wave is due to very spiky impulse response of compression driver. This crazy mid of mine dont distort the frequency. Distorts way more amplitude. Dont know how big is the low pass part thought.

Ofc this starting of a wave is looking this way due to the generator starting so doing measurement with sweep should help the problem. Should be more realistic for changing sounds right? And how about random binary noise? Will it also distort the signal this way?
I have some problem with accuracy using measurement from REW to compare it to the above way of measurement.
Now comparing this to measurements im curious how will it look.
Just some maniacal thoughts.
Have you meet highs on a really high spl level playing nicely and pleasuring long sounds and killing ears on claps?Wink
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
 Post Reply Post Reply