Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powersoft Amplifier Speaker Connections

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAHS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powersoft Amplifier Speaker Connections
    Posted: 10 May 2018 at 7:49pm
Hello helpful buddies,

So I have taken the plunge to invest in a K3 and K8 Powersoft amplifiers for my Ohm TRS rig - having heard these being run with another TRS rig they seemed to blow my MC2s away!

But my question is on the wiring ... it seems that all 4 poles of the speakon outputs of the K series are all powered, and require that all 4 pins in the NL4 speakon output must be connected to each speaker. Does this demand that each speaker cable running to each speaker needs to be 4 core cable then adapt the inside of each speaker which I don’t really want to do, or is it possible to run a 4 core cable from the speakon output of the amplifier to my speakon outputs in the rack to convert them back to 2 core? For my 212s I run 2 x 4mm cable per speaker and for my 218 subs I run 2 x 6mm cable per speaker. 

Any hints or tips would be awesome people, thanks in advance! 

Edited by PAHS - 10 May 2018 at 7:51pm
el chupacabra View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el chupacabra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 8:07pm
two core cable will work fine, you don't have to use the +2-2 pins.
they are there so you can have the input connectors on cabinets in parallel and run 4-core thereby increasing the cross sectional area (4x2.5mm becomes 2x5mm for example) and this can help to minimise power losses over long cable lengths.

or to split out and run cabinets in parallel by connecting a second cabinet to the +2-2 to a breakout adapter or patch panel for example.
LeruSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeruSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 8:24pm
require that all 4 pins in the NL4 speakon output must be connected to each speaker. Does this demand that each speaker cable running to each speaker needs to be 4 core cable then adapt the inside of each speaker which I don’t really want to do, 
Wooooooow. 
The + and the - are just like 2 poles splitted in 4, so if you suck from 2+ and 1- is the same as 1+ and 2-. 
The only advantages are:
- You have double cross-sections connection between a speakon to the other speakon, giving it a better and safer power trasmission through those tiny 4.8mm fastons and internal poles (would be good even if you use just a couple.. rated 30A RMS, but maybe if you deliver huge power to low charges like 2 or less ohms, the first connection of the linked chain would suffer, so to dived it in 4 contact is for sure an improvement)
- If you are used to have biamped passive speakerboxes, you use 4 poles cables. Then you got your huge Killa subs, which just need 2 poles, and you say "yaaay let's buy a huge 2x9999m2 cable" but then you have 2 different type of cables, you have to sign them with coloured tape and go search for them every time ecc. While if you have all 4x2,5 cable you can drive what ever you want, good damped subs and 2 way speaker with whatever cable you find in the box! (Need to link 1&2 inside sub too) Hug
Hope this was your question about!
Cheers! \\m//

Edited by LeruSound - 10 May 2018 at 8:35pm
PAHS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAHS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 10:54pm
cheers mate
PAHS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAHS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 10:55pm
Thank you lerusound, so it would be better 4 pole, then just split from 4 to 2?!
 Post Reply Post Reply