Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EV MT4-2 nostalgia rehab

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logsquared1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EV MT4-2 nostalgia rehab
    Posted: 10 May 2018 at 10:58pm
Got these from a recently closed club.  Totally thrashed, only the 10's are still working.  The 18's are literally shredded.  Luckily I have some DH1 diaphragms here.  

I planned on using these for a nice mobile rock and roll nostalgia rig.... Till I remembered how damn heavy they are!  More than likely they will find another club to live in.  Although, I can think of a few deaf DJ's these would make good monitors for.  

Should be a fun restoration job.

jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 8:37am
Nice find.  Are the 18" recone kits a reasonable price in the US?
Be seeing you.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 6:33pm
In all these years that's the first time I've realised the MF horn is not made out of wood!
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Shelfstacker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelfstacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 8:15pm
Awesome. 

The last pair of ex SSE MT4 subs I had came out of an install I'd had them in for a few years, then they languished at the back of my unit for several years before I finally accepted that most of the bass drivers were toast.  They're certainly from a different era of 400 watt drivers, and I've found nothing skinny enough to fit.

Ended up chop sawing them up and burning them in a satanic petrol fuelled ritual.
If you are at the circus and being attacked by clowns - go for the juggler
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 8:32pm
I'm sure a QTX 18 would fit?  Clown
It's everything, not everythink!
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 8:45pm
The box 18-500 is not that deep..
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 8:55pm
Faital Pro 18fh500 has a basket design that lends itself well to tight squeezes, but it likes big boxes so probably not suitable. 

There are other neo drivers with small magnets and tapered baskets like this around though - depth isn't such an issue then.

Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
Airguitarchampion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airguitarchampion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 4:14am
I like the idea of refreshing these.  If I ever came across some that is i'd probably do the same... the idea i had was this:

What if you only replaced 2 drivers, and made blanking plates for the other two holes?  I did a really quick and dirty simulation (maybe not even too accurate but...) with 18Sound 18TLW3000 and it seemed it did as well on the top end as the original 18"s (60-100) but had a little more extension before the port velocity came into play (30-40)

On the basis 2 modern 18" have double the xmax of the original, might be something to explore?

I think it even saved 15lbs over original equipment too LOL
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 1:33pm
I´m pretty sure that there is an (old) 600W RCF chassis that fits. I´m not too sure with exact model that is, but given the time period, ie around 15/20 years ago, it shouldn´t be difficult to work out.   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
logsquared1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logsquared1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Are the 18" recone kits a reasonable price in the US?

Decent aftermarket for 80USD

Originally posted by Airguitarchampion Airguitarchampion wrote:

I like the idea of refreshing these.  If I ever came across some that is i'd probably do the same... the idea i had was this:

What if you only replaced 2 drivers, and made blanking plates for the other two holes?  I did a really quick and dirty simulation (maybe not even too accurate but...) with 18Sound 18TLW3000 and it seemed it did as well on the top end as the original 18"s (60-100) but had a little more extension before the port velocity came into play (30-40)

On the basis 2 modern 18" have double the xmax of the original, might be something to explore?

I think it even saved 15lbs over original equipment too LOL

This is an interesting idea.  The box is rather funky in design not sure how well two drivers would work?

I know people have tried different drivers over the years with out much gain over the original 400w drivers.  Even the EVX180 loaded ones are not much better.

I am pretty set on just restoring to original.  Coming up in the midwest near Chicago, MT boxes were everywhere.  They have a very distinct sound.  The sound kinda says "rock n roll"  I actually never really like the sound TBH.  In fact in the rave days my main competitor was a huge MT4 rig.  My rig at the time was 12-16 turbo TMS3 and 12-16 custom 2x18 subs.  Anything jungle or DnB was usually me, gabba and hardcore usually the MT4 rig, house or techno split.  The MT4 sub is really a "one note" box IMHO.  

So the woofers on the right with the EV logo are not even MT cones.  Looks like someone used an 18b or something.  That had to sound like shitCry  Half the winding length on the coil.

One of the subs is carpet and one is paint.  Trying to decide.... Carpet the painted box or strip and paint the carpet box.  Hmmmm.

Anyone wants internal pics or measurements let me know.

pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 10:41pm
I know a guy who bought 3 MTH-4's and 3 MTL-4's for 30 euros! I was witnessing the auction.

Last year I tuned a system of four MTH-2's and four MTL-2's. Ended up sounding quite sweet. There's a distortion signature in DH1 I could live without but other than that, quite nice sounding rig when given some DSP love with some 2ch FFT sprinkling. Shitty handle placement and way too heavy boxes I would say. Also the low frequency extension is a bit pathethic from modern day perspective.
tthorsten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tthorsten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 4:22pm
Oberton 18xb700 will fit and sound good in MT2 and MT4 subs

www.tb-audio.de

LEVELchek www.levelcheck.de
SPL tracking

SATlive www.satlive.audio
best Measurementsoftware for Live People

DBlimits
www.dblimits.com

Isemcon EMX7510 measurment Microphon

Post Reply Post Reply