Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Pooter is driving me crazy.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Pooter is driving me crazy.
    Posted: 11 May 2018 at 1:41am
I'm having loads of trouble with Ebay. The pages load very slowly, and I can't do anything (not even scroll down the page) until all their infernal ads have come up. Even then if I go to the next page I get an on screen "ebay is not responding" message. Then a "windows is searching for a solution" message. Then the page reloads, and I have another wait.

The whole process often happens 2 or 3 times, before I can actually buy something. Have just spent 20 minutes to buy 2 dvds.

Is it my pooter or is there something wrong with the Bay?

Doesn't seem to happen with any other site.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 6:15am
Clear your browser cache.

Download, install and run Malwarebytes if you're on Windows.

Get an adblocker for your browser such as "Adblock" for "Adblock Plus".

Is another computer on your home network/internet connection having the same issues with eBay or just yours?

Edited by vertx - 11 May 2018 at 6:15am
www.instagram.com/translate.sound
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 9:15am
I've noticed ebay seems a little slower recently so it probably isn't just you, login for me has timed out several times recently over various browsers.  But once I'm in there is no issue with the site itself. My browser is quite locked down as well with respect to javascript/ads.

Windows searching for a solution suggests it is a connectivity issue, but I wouldn't care to say if a modern version might interpret a non-responding connection in software as that, opposed to a direct hardware issue. Never used W10 personally.

I would definitely recommend adblock plus as a plug in to get rid of the majority of those shitty adverts for a start, it won't hurt your browsing speed. It might be that your connection is slow and some parts of the page cannot be pulled down the pipe quick enough, causing windows to interpret it as a connection issue? Which it is still, sort of.
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 10:50am
It does seem to stem from the ads being served.

Ebay doesn't send the ads to your browser, they come from completely different, non ebay, servers, so if ad is successful, i.e. high volume of load on server, they can be slow to arrive.

Equally, many are "clever" or interactive in some way, which is a further burden on host server, which slows everything down, and then you get the down right spammy and malware ones which right royally bugger things up.

Ebay seem painfully slow in pulling bad ads, I guess as long as they get the click through or ad revenue paid to them, they don't care?
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 12:17pm
Thanks guys, as usual you have sorted me out and the air in the Markie house is no longer BLUE.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 8:35pm
eBay seems better in Firefox with Adblock, Chrome and IE suffer badly from the errant adds.
It's everything, not everythink!
 Post Reply Post Reply