Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Compact 12" + 1". UPDATE (Grills & Measurements)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Compact 12" + 1". UPDATE (Grills & Measurements)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 9:53am
Thank you for the feedback.

I will play with some different filters to see if I can get the phase response closer to 0. But not at the cost of frequency response. 

I will do this using a dual mic setup one on axis and one at 22.5 degrees off axis on the horizontal plain.

I will be aiming for good averages between the two position. 

I have also just discovered my DSP has two types of all pass filter. So I will look into understanding the affects of using these. 

Thanks again. 
Sol. 
graysonrevoir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graysonrevoir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 6:44am
dear Sol, 

I'm very excited by this thread, I'm also in the same place with building PAs. I've bought some plans from Fitzmaurice and built a few small systems, but would like to get more in depth as you seem to be doing regarding self design and testing. I've been combing the forums and it feel like I work myself into a knot most of the times. 

I would be very interested to know how you're finding your way through this. could you please share what books, if any, you're reading? 

thanks in advance,

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 9:58am
22.5 degrees might be wishful thinking. You should find the real offax position by moving the mic in an equidistant semicircle from the speaker until the majority of the response has dipped by 6dB.

It will likely only dip in the HF region, a bit of mid if you're lucky.
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 11:58am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

22.5 degrees might be wishful thinking. You should find the real offax position by moving the mic in an equidistant semicircle from the speaker until the majority of the response has dipped by 6dB.

It will likely only dip in the HF region, a bit of mid if you're lucky.

Ye I had a feeling, I will do some testing and aim for best compromise.
Thanks.  

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by graysonrevoir graysonrevoir wrote:

dear Sol, 

I'm very excited by this thread, I'm also in the same place with building PAs. I've bought some plans from Fitzmaurice and built a few small systems, but would like to get more in depth as you seem to be doing regarding self design and testing. I've been combing the forums and it feel like I work myself into a knot most of the times. 

I would be very interested to know how you're finding your way through this. could you please share what books, if any, you're reading? 

thanks in advance,

Lot of experience, reading and also I studied Sound at degree level. 
I built my first system in 2003 (terrible). 

One step at a time i guess, pick a subject and learn as much about it as possible and try to do lots of testing. 

I have built all sorts and used a different assortment of Pro Gear at small and large gigs. 
This speaker is the first one I designed myself, at a level where it was actually worth sharing.

One of the most difficult things I find is stepping back from what you think you know and asking for advice and listening to it, even when it goes against what your thought or what you want to be true. 

Doesn't mean that the advice is necessarily correct but try to put aside what you believe and test what you are being told. Then reevaluate based on your results. 

Ego management I guess.
If you have specific questions I am happy to share what I know.
Sol
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 3:56pm
This is one of mine boxes.
It is not much different then your in terms of components and it has passive crossover inside.
In your case (bi-amped) results can be much better with applying correct filters and delay.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 6:45pm
if the weather plays ball, I'm hoping to get a good few hours at it tomorrow.

I'll see if I can do better. 
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 2:21pm
what the off axis-response like 1kHz to 2kHz? any lack of vocal due to 12" beaming?
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 2:55pm

I'll post messurments when I get the chance.

But no. Vocals are particularly articulate and present.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234