Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crest 8001 super performance 2ohms sub duty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 7:31pm
You can bridge K20 and have power for days.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 7:59pm

That would never satisfy those that want to run 8 bins per amplifier. It would be best for many to stop focusing on marketing hype from speaker manufactures. Use lower wattage speakers in which, you would have ample power to drive the loudspeakers to their full potential with headroom to spare than, loudspeakers that will extract every bit of power from the amplifier and sill require more.  

Best Regards, 

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 23 May 2018 at 7:59pm
Elliot Thompson
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:34pm
8 bins per amplifier is not good anyhow. 
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:51pm

Many are going to do it regardless. 

Best Regards, 

Elliot Thompson
RC1 Sound System View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote RC1 Sound System Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:07pm
I am not sure where this thread is going, the topic was the legendary 8001 amplifier and it’s use for bass.  Of course it will be outperformed by bigger amplifiers, that’s obvious and a pretty meaningless point to make.

The question was how good is the 8001 for sub?  The FACTS are that it is a virtually perfect bass amp circuit with overbuilt power supply, bipolar output devices AND bipolar voltage rail switching devices for solid continuous current dumping.  It is also a FACT that, WATT FOR WATT on 2 ohm sub it will massively outperform ANY of the current lightweight amps on the market.

So to answer the question of the thread more specifically, if it is sufficient wattage for your subs, and you don’t mind carrying a heavy lump, and you have decent mains power available, there probably isn’t a better choice of amp for sub.   But it sounds like the author of this post already discovered this for himself.

Of course some people need bigger amps, in which case the 8001 will not be powerful enough!

I must admit though I’m a little puzzled why everyone is so obsessed by wattage, it’s sound pressure that matters.  A juggernaut may have more horsepower than a race car, but would it win the race?  Sheer power is meaningless, it’s what you do with it that counts.  Yes, a K20 can make a lot of noise, but I’ve heard a lot more noise coming from much smaller amps...

Apologies for the rant, but it’s made me feel better after a long day! Lol.
mgftrophy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgftrophy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 11:40pm
Thanks for your point of view Mr. Rc1 sound! You said it all! 

Love my Crest’s 8001! I have also some Powersoft Digam 5000 and 7000 and love it too! They sound fat a litle too! I do no not have any Powersoft K20 but I Wanna buy it in the future, must sound better that the others but it costs +3000€ a piece on used market..

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by RC1 Sound System RC1 Sound System wrote:

I am not sure where this thread is going, the topic was the legendary 8001 amplifier and it’s use for bass.  Of course it will be outperformed by bigger amplifiers, that’s obvious and a pretty meaningless point to make.

The question was how good is the 8001 for sub?  The FACTS are that it is a virtually perfect bass amp circuit with overbuilt power supply, bipolar output devices AND bipolar voltage rail switching devices for solid continuous current dumping.  It is also a FACT that, WATT FOR WATT on 2 ohm sub it will massively outperform ANY of the current lightweight amps on the market.

So to answer the question of the thread more specifically, if it is sufficient wattage for your subs, and you don’t mind carrying a heavy lump, and you have decent mains power available, there probably isn’t a better choice of amp for sub.   But it sounds like the author of this post already discovered this for himself.

Of course some people need bigger amps, in which case the 8001 will not be powerful enough!

I must admit though I’m a little puzzled why everyone is so obsessed by wattage, it´s sound pressure that matters.  A juggernaut may have more horsepower than a race car, but would it win the race?  Sheer power is meaningless, it’s what you do with it that counts.  Yes, a K20 can make a lot of noise, but I’ve heard a lot more noise coming from much smaller amps...

Apologies for the rant, but it’s made me feel better after a long day! Lol.

+100

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
cuttinraza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuttinraza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 9:09pm
greetings whats your views on the c audio srx 3801 on sub duty
compaired to the 8001?? i run mine in bridge mode, sounds good for my pd 1850 700 watt versions. thanks
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 1:06am
I used my 8001 on some classic Martin Audio VRS800 for the bass section this weekend. It excelled. Would rather use it compared to my void lightweight that gives off so much heat even on a 8 ohm driver per channel although it has more watts on paper. Wattage is higher but it doesn't seem to command more authority LOL

Edited by Pinyorouk - 28 June 2018 at 2:01am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345