Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your First System

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2018 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by James Tengo James Tengo wrote:

Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

First lighting control was a Tuac chaser and a Pulsar 3 channel light organ, I cannot find any info on the Pulser however it was just a black box with a bulging on the top and power going in… I believe the same unit was also sold under the Fal brand.
The mighty pulsar zero 2250? http://www.karillon.com/Articles/pulsar/2250lf.jpg
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

before going DMX we had a Light Processor commander and dimmer/switch packs, again I cannot find any info on this piece of kit, It was primarily a nightclub lighting controller and I suspect they were all wrecked many years ago..
I remember the Light processor Q Commander, but that was dmx, and was using them in the late 90’s. 

A Pulsar Zero 2250!! We had one of those but never used it because we had an NJD SC4000LOL. Lights were a mixture of Fal decor boxes and home made stuff with the most dodgy of wiring with a few par 36 scanners. We thought we were the dogs bollox when we bought a couple of Twister 2's and a Martin Magnum 750 smoke machine. Big smile
8x18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8x18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2019 at 11:21pm
this is a mint thead , the memories keep coming back 

i had helped another mobile roadshow for years so was the roady , seen all the mistakes , wrong songs at the wrong time , too loud , late arriving , so it was time to take the plunge 

my first was a soundout console ( the one with the red fins ) powered but everytime you turned it on , you prey it worked LOL , a pair of old W bins , 15s i think with j105s in front 

lighting loads of light boxes , i had stereo so i had 2 pulsar 2250 running different sides so the light boxes ran not the same each side 

pulsar pinspots on the floor 4 channel in white , smoke pellets that smelt terrible

transport landrover lwb with horse box ( this did get a lot of looks at posh hotels , manor houses )

after this it went down hill , i dechoked 4ft uv tubes putting 200v in them and adding the last 40v from a modded chaser , no one had done this before in lightboxes with 6 pygmy bulbs each side equally spaced running sound to light , horizontal on a custom frame 4 in a row , 16 feet in all long 

them it got worst Confused

i always wanted to be different , sound stayed the same but lighting always had to change , if i did a 18th birthday for someone , when they had there 21st the apperance of the front was never the same , then the engagement , wedding , ect

so good old pulsar , 10 way ,mmmmm  

i thought 10 x 4ft tubes Colored each side hanging under the light boxes 6 inches apart vertical , sorted 

this was the dogs , thats why the big mobile discos were called roadshows , 3+ hours to carry in and change dead bulbs , get it running , and get out as fast as you could 

lots more if you are interested 

MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 3:21pm
Homemade Celestion Cook Book W Bins (1x15), in chip and carpet, one a side. Different 15" drivers in each one.

3 ibl (yes "I") 1x12" (mckensie/fane loaded) with Piezo, on each W bin. BK Electronics MXF400 3U 400W Stereo Amps. x4. MXF200 2x100W doing DJ's Wilding PowerSound 1x12 monitors. Torque 1x12" Active floor monitors. Seck 12:8:2 desk for bands (!), wacky 1202 for quiz nights and karaoke. The Seck had a nice feature where you could return an Aux return to master and separate to Pre Aux outs, so easy to bus in the Mackie for extra channels, and still get its output through the monitor auxs!

Alesis 1U twin 31 band graphic, KAM GMX7 Mixer (with 4 second sampler!), LAD turntables. Vestax Twin Top Loading CD turntables (the ones with plastic lift up lids over the CDs). No X-Over. If you held each end of the GMX7's X-Fade in your hand, whilst still wired in, you could get Radio 5 Live.

NAD 5.1 Processor, with line outs. Normalised patchbay to route audio all over! Some naff 2000 lumen 4:3 projector for film nights.

Comb City, but I loved it. Sounded like a bag of bolts, but loadsa fun had. My Halls Of Residence "House" system! Painful and crude, but fun.

Never managed to blow more than the odd rail fuse in the MXFs, and the occasional 10 Ohm piezo dropper resistor in the iBL 1x12".

Loads of Abstract 1CE and Galactic moon DMX stuff, with 12 PAR56 off a ryger 12 Chn touch panel, with 12 Ways of Switch pack (not even dimmers)!
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 4:06pm
I remember IBL cabs, I believe they were actually made by BK electronics..... certainly they used to advertise them in their ads in practical electronics. They were advertised as having Fane Classic 300s in them.

I seem to remember their largest offering was  an 18" plus piezo. I expect it was a bit lacking in mids.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Andylaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andylaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2022 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

I would just like to add...around late 1976 we had managed to save up enough pocket money to buy a pair of ILP electronics HY200 modules (120w each from memory) together with the ILP power supply to run them. Yippee,stereo at last.

I put them in a nicely made cabinet,even fitted at 4 inch cooling fan,just to be sure. Running into 8 ohms load each. Within a month,both had erupted black smoke and died.

Now the fun started. Sent them back to ILP under warranty (they were only a month old remember). Nothing. No reply. Weeks went past. Months went past.I sent many letters and phone calls. Finally on threat of legal action against them, a replacement pair finally arrived. One burnt up immediately,the other a few weeks later.

If anyone from ILP ever reads this,you should be taken outside and publically egged or pelted with rotten fruit for having the cheek to sell such rubbish, and also having the worst customer service i have ever experianced in over forty years!

I remember those. Mine were OK, but only used on hifi. Maplin MOSFET modules were far better for more robust use provided they had a decent heatsink. Shortly after we discovered BK electronics and their substantial amp modules which were superb.
"music so loud, that if we move in next door to you; your lawn will die" - Lemmy
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 2:20am
I remember the first gig I ever did with "Proper gear" was at Barbarellas nightclub in Brum. The decks were Goldring GL75s and they had these cueing devices, which I have never seen since.

The turntable had a slip mat on it and this device was mounted on the turntable base and when you flicked a switch on the console an arm came out and held the edge of the record. So, with the turntable revolving the disc was held stationery till you flip the switch again it gave an instant start.

Got a feeling they were made by Ortofon but could be wrong about that. Anyone else remember them???
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123