Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Faital Pro HF10AK 1" comp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 7:10pm
Here's the RCF H100 horn with the RCF ND 1710-MT3. It exhibits the kind of response I'm used to. Top curve is on axis; bottom curve 45 degrees off axis. Slightly different scale on this one, sorry.

A measurement with the JBL-type horn.

As suggested by Elliot, I measured this without any horn at all (lower curve) but I'm not sure what it tells us.

Edited by stevie - 07 June 2018 at 7:13pm
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2018 at 8:09pm

Measuring the compression driver without the horn tells you what the driver is capable producing from a frequency response perspective and, if the horn is reinforcing or rolling off the frequency response.

You would get a more realistic curve if you use +/- 5dB increments as it will eliminate the smoothing which, can give you a false perception of the frequency response from a dB perspective. 

With a negative dip on all curves at around 12 kHz, the room may be playing a factor. If you noticed, the dip is not as severe once you measured off – axis. Try measuring the compression driver (Without a horn) directly in front of the microphone with no greater than a 3 inch distance between the microphone and compression driver.

All in all it appears the RCF H100 Horn is best suited for the RCF ND 1710-MT3 due to amplifying frequencies around 17 kHz on up. 

If you have a Spectrogram handy, you can measure the harmonics in terms of how high of a frequency the driver will play with music content on the RCF Horn.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 07 June 2018 at 8:32pm
Elliot Thompson
stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 9:15am
The measurements confirm to some extent Marjan's assertion that the H100 isn't really a CD horn. The old-style CD horn works really well off axis way up to 12-14kHz  . The question is: can the newer type of non-diffraction horns maintain CD performance like that - and do they actually sound better as some people claim? Has anyone compared them?

Edited by stevie - 08 June 2018 at 9:46am
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 10:35am
The thing is that driver/horn combo matching is not an easy task.
This combo seem to match perfectly. The exit angle at the driver throat need to match the horn entry angle. Not many horns match the driver exit angle. Many actually present a too narrow angle and present a reflective surface to some of the sound coming from the driver throat. These reflections do most harm in the top high end. Especially those with a diffraction slot at the beginning of the horn.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2018 at 10:57am

As the years progress, manufactures are designing compression horns that are less tolerant with frequencies within the 500 Hz - 800 Hz range. This is why many prefer older compression horns over the newer compression horns available today.

It really depends on what you are aiming for. If you are looking for 1.5 kHz to 12 kHz relatively flat, the newer horns will meet up to your task. If you are looking for 1 kHz and below, the newer horns will struggle very hard to get to those lower octaves. 

Also, keep in mind that a lot of manufactures focus on the Rock And Roll market where ultra high frequencies and lower mid frequencies are not required for their needs using a compression horn.

Best Regards,  

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 08 June 2018 at 11:05am
Elliot Thompson
stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 8:15pm
So where did all my measurements go?Confused They were on Tinypic.

It seems that one of my adblockers removes them. Hmmm. As you were.

Edited by stevie - 28 June 2018 at 4:25pm
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2018 at 12:38am
I dont know where is standing wave from. This horn was designed for midrange so it is flat and  holds directivity not for extension. Btw this sim is on shortcut version. It doesn't sim the whole driver phase plug horn arrangement. Here is just horn with brutally simplified rest. It doesnt show the resonances in arrangement between phase plug and horn. What phase plug arrangement do those DAS drivers use?
Blue one is 3 channel evenly spaced phase plug. When horn will come it may look totally different overally. For example this slowly falling and rising char can get flatter. Those higher sharp problems should leave something on char. Sometimes relatively flat charasteristics from driver + phase plug will leave sharp peaks. + entry angle problem. What happens in phase plugs is very unstable.

Edited by gen0me - 14 August 2018 at 2:09am
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12