Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fried dcx

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fried dcx
    Posted: 09 June 2018 at 7:27pm
But not eggs, it seems some whiskey coke got in the power sockets  
Only visible damage https://ibb.co/m22y58

Bin it or no? 

I dontd have a multimeter atm to check the fuse, the fuse socket was completely soaked tho. 
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2018 at 7:45pm
Rust across a large section of the board? Good luck! Worst case scenario keep it for parts. If the same happens again having a nearly functional spare like this one would be exactly what you need, and probably your best chance at fixing this one (finding another dead unit and gutting it).
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2018 at 7:51pm
Time to upgrade from DCX, to a DBMark DP 4/8  MKIV.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2018 at 7:58pm
Upgrade is in process for months now still looking for a suitable replacement and saving ££   Smile
This one was on install duty . Another one already replaced it haha. 

Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2018 at 8:18pm
Ok checked the fuse ,it's burnt. Possible that the fuse did its job but whatsup with that bulged capacitor. Dont have a replacement atm, but i said that 4 the multimeter and it somehow shown up randomlyLOL
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 1:25pm
Is it just the PSU board that got soaked? If so, that should be an easy fix... for someone that knows about SMPSU's!
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 1:59pm
Could even go audiophile odd and get a linear PSU for the DCX to replace that one 
https://www.instagram.com/batteryacidsoundsystem/
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2018 at 5:42pm
The psu itself wasnt wetw just the part where you plugin the power cable ,almost seems like it was on purpose or someone really stupid somehow went to put the cup on the rack in the foh, why??? 
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 6:58pm
Ok, maybe my first contact with electronics. That which blew up is a varistor ,more accurately a tvr10471.
I cant find that locally so i bought a http://spiratronics.com/275v-75j-metal-oxide-varistor-14n431k.html .
I am completely daft for what these specs mean and which specs to look at, both are metal oxide and same size tho lol . Will i be ok using the one i got ?
In the end i dont know still if thats the only thing which went wrong too...
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Sypa Sypa wrote:

Ok, maybe my first contact with electronics. That which blew up is a varistor ,more accurately a tvr10471.
I cant find that locally so i bought a http://spiratronics.com/275v-75j-metal-oxide-varistor-14n431k.html .
I am completely daft for what these specs mean and which specs to look at, both are metal oxide and same size tho lol . Will i be ok using the one i got ?
In the end i dont know still if thats the only thing which went wrong too...

You could have tested the unit without a varistor. The varistor provides overvoltage protection. It sits across live and neutral after the input supply fuse. When the input voltage is lower than a certain threshold, say 275V it has a resistance (Let's say infinity). If the voltage exceeds the threshold it then becomes low in resistance causing exccessive current to develop across the fuse in the unit which in turn blows. The mains voltage rarely reached these linits so you can test without it but replace once your sure the unit work.

I would use the series lamp limiter https://www.vintage-radio.com/projects/lamp-limiter.html to test the unit. It is basically a case of putting a filament light bulb in series with the live connection going to the DCX. This is so that if there is further damage you will prevent excessive current going into the DCX and cause more damage.

studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2018 at 7:51pm
The PSU in these units is very simple. There is just 1 power semiconductor doing all the switching, one transformer with one centre-tapped output, and then four linear regulators to get the required DC rails (+15, -15, +12 and +5v). So if it isn't working it should be easy to fix, or, you can just replace it with a couple of conventional transformer/rectifier/regulator supplies. There is quite a lot of room in the case.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 1:14pm
Happy ending , the varistor and the fuse have been replaced and its working like new !
 Post Reply Post Reply