Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drivers for XTRO speaker for DNB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KorbexDNB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drivers for XTRO speaker for DNB
    Posted: 22 June 2018 at 11:59am
hey guys!

I have a question about driver selection for the XTRO plans.
The original plans suggest:

18sound - 15ND930 x2 
B&C - 8PE21
B&C - DE500 

I have been looking to change these to the following drivers:

B&C - 15NW100 x2 - 800w @ 8ohm
B&C - 8NW51 - 200w @ 8ohm
Beyma - CP385ND - 70w @ 8ohm

The suggested Horn for the plans has been discontinued so am looking to use the Beyma TD164 60x49 horn instead

The system will be supported by WSX Subhorns with Void 18" v18-1000 - 1000w at 8ohm drivers.

The plan is to run the stack on PKN Amplifiers with a 3-Way Crossover.

I mainly want to know if any of you more experienced builders can see any issues I may run into due to the driver snot being compatible or the speaker plans not allowing the drivers I have selected.

Any and all help is much appreciated!
Peace!
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 12:35pm
Hi Korbex

Is there any reason you are looking to use different drivers? is it money? Availability? You already have these drivers? 

As far as the comp goes, it should be fine. Same with the comp horn.

Depending on what mid horn you use, id be careful the driver fits properly. The Xt8 mk 2 has a phase plug that is very close to the dust cap of the 8pe21. You might have issues with the 8NW51 contacting it for example. 

Someone might give you better info, i'm still a novice when it comes to TS parameters but the 8NW51 looks okay. MMS is a little higher and EBP is a little lower. If it were me, id use the 8pe21.

If I were you, id try get some 15nd930. They are really great drivers and very light weight for a 15. You will find they are the loudest part of the xtro, you wont gain anything from the extra power handlingthe 4 inch voice coil of the 15NW100 give you. It just make the MMS higher which i'm not sure is something you want. Someone with more knowledge might be more help here. 

The hornresp parameters for the xtro 15 inch section are out there if you want to try some sims. 

P@Freak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P@Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 12:39pm
The Box was made for the original Drivers !!!

15NW100 is NOT a Horn Driver ... >> It is a Sub-Low !!
8NW51 is NOT a Horn Drver too ... 
And the Beyma Horn is too large  ... 

So use the original Drivers !!!

Yin Yang P@Freak
KorbexDNB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KorbexDNB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 12:43pm
hey guys thanks for the be quick responses.

Glad I asked before continuing. Will probably look to use the original drivers. 

Glad I asked the forums before commuting to the purchase :)
KorbexDNB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KorbexDNB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 2:10pm
actually I have a follow up question.

If the TD164 horn is too large and the horn in the original plans have been discontinued what Horn and horn driver should I use?

All suggestions welcomed :)
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 2:13pm
Its not, im using the 18sound xt1064 which is actually slightly bigger. It has no impact on the kick and with a de250 the hf sounds great. 

Edited by citizensc - 22 June 2018 at 2:15pm
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 2:16pm
KorbexDNB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KorbexDNB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 2:17pm
Sick! Is the DE250 much different from the DE500 recommended in the original plans?
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 2:28pm
The DE 250 is a Ferrite driver with a polyimide diaphragm. De 500 is a neo with a titanium diaphragm. The DE500 is lighter. 

Iv never heard a DE500 but iv heard good things about it. 

I picked the DE250 because of all the praise it gets. If you type 'DE250 site:speakerplans.com' in to google you will find loads of threads filled with people talking about how great it is. They have done a fine job in our xtros and I don't regret buying them. 
 Post Reply Post Reply