Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Portable hard drive for music

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Portable hard drive for music
    Posted: 25 June 2018 at 3:03pm
That's a lot of storage to be moving around, and probably a lot more when you consider off-site backups and duplication.  I don't know your use case, but if you've got reliable internet at all sites that need access to terabytes then consider cloud storage.  The major providers (Microsoft, Amazon, Google etc) have options for domestic to enterprise uses, and can guarantee availability and retention rates way above anything you could buy physically (i.e. they won't lose your data).

Best of all, it costs pennies.  The pennies increment over time, but the costs compared to a fleet of hard drives is orders of magnitude less.
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 3:22pm
8TB ??  That's an awful lot of music Big smile

For my regular sets I don't use a computer as a main source at all, just a Pioneer MEP7000 combined with its' disc drive set; that gives me two USB sockets to play with.  I do have a laptop with me, with heaps of archive material going back to the 30s and 40s plus heaps and heaps of new release stuff copied from DVDs sent to me; I use three 4TB portable drives for that.

I currently use a 1TB HD and a 256GB memory stick, with some of the music duped across both sources and this is generally more than enough for anything that I come across - for special requests I simply add required music to one (or both) of the drives.

I carry a duplicate of both drives with me, but have never had to use them.

Also have a separate pair of 4TB drives for karaoke use, much of it video karaoke which takes up a lot more room than the regular MP3+G.

Don't use any special carrying tools, the memory sticks travel in my pocket and the HDs in the computer travel bag.

Hard Drives are more durable than you might expect when being transported, when power isn't applied the heads are raised further from the surface of the platter, (they never ever touch the magnetic material - doing so causes damage; the heads "fly" above the magnetic platter).  Yep.  Drop them and you may have problems - but the main cause of damage would be moving the drives whilst turned on - where G-forces might move the head against the magnetic medium and scratch it causing unrecoverable damage.

If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 1:29am
Portable and 8TB don't go together. You can get 8TB disks but they are meant for archiving and definitely not ruggedised for portable use. I have multiple 8TB HDs and well they're also not that fast and aren't massive fans of vibration. I'd opt for a bunch of large USB sticks or maybe 1HD which is designed to be mobile.
Andylaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andylaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2018 at 6:44pm
This.

And this

Should do nicely. We use this combination when carrying data around places you really dont want to be using a laptop and external drive. :)

Edited by Andylaser - 21 July 2018 at 6:44pm
"music so loud, that if we move in next door to you; your lawn will die" - Lemmy
Boxes-R-Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxes-R-Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2019 at 1:30am
If it needs to move old school record player design is completely out the question.

I make a LOT of money pulling data from crashed Spindle drives, G-drives in particuler seem to fail really nicely.

If you need storage for a gig, and you really think 8TB is a plan get a 4 hole Synology box and load 4x 2TB SSDs in, by chance i have 4 x Crucial 2TB SSds used for a week to pivot a data migration for sale, cost me £1200, yours for £850, but your still need a Synology NAS (or some kinda poverty USB rig) to run them...

Personally, I would run a 2TB SSD in a Lacie or similar enclosure and have the other 6TB on an FTP server that I could pull over 4G if needed in the set...

or buy an 8TB spindle drive ( that will fail so go cheap with warranty) and run gig from 2TB SSd with a hope of a pull from the 8TB record player..

amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2019 at 12:58pm
squeeze your portable collection into 2TB, or get two 2TB drives.
SOLID STATE drives.
does not matter how rugged it is, spinning rust may get fcuked up when dropped. SSD will have no problems with that, no moving parts.

Post Reply Post Reply