Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wiring tops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiring tops
    Posted: 26 June 2018 at 10:40am
Hey
Looking to get some tops for my system but with all the research I've done into the bass section of rigs, i am still very New to the top side of things and have a few questions.
First off , if buying used commercial tops as opposed to building and loading my own , does it still require biamping ?
Secondly  if I were to build a top like an mt121 how would I wire it from the crossover so that both drivers in it are powered? Would I use different outputs on the crossover so that there is one for high frequency and then one specifically for ultra high frequencies for the comps ? If anyone is able to clear up my confusion it would be greatly appreciated :)
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 1:40pm
DIY or pro build second hand can each be biamp or passive.

an MT121 would normall require biamping aka:

- a HF xover channel (say 2k-20,000k hz)
- a midrange xover channel (say 180hz - 2k hx)
- a HF amp channel (around 200w....or whatever)
- a mid amp channel (around 600w...or whatever)

Each amp channel can be connected to each driver by an individual speakon or by a 4 core speakon which is essentially 2 speakons in 1 cable.

We use a 4 core speakon with a "Y" end with 2 spekaons for each amp. Each forms the 1/+1 and the +2/-2 poles of a 4 core speakon.

junoprobelaunch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 3:11pm
thanks man that really helped
 Post Reply Post Reply