Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Spotify high enough quality?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

Of course it is nowhere near to good quality.

I would say at least 192K Sample per second with 24bits resolution per channel is the minimum affordable 'professional grade' quality. Please do the math:
192KHZ * 24bits * 2channels = 9216K
1.15MB/s and this is WITHOUT ANY additional codes, checksums, etc!!

So the required bandwidth would be at least 30X of the 320kbps.. And it is not any extreme 'high quality' just 192KS, 24bit resolution.

https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

So no, you’re flat out wrong. Sorry.

Surely Victor can't be wrong lol.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by concept-10 concept-10 wrote:

I would say at least 192K Sample per second with 24bits resolution per channel is the minimum affordable 'professional grade' quality. Please do the math:

So the required bandwidth would be at least 30X of the 320kbps.. And it is not any extreme 'high quality' just 192KS, 24bit resolution.

https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html Confused
Surely Victor can't be wrong lol.Ouch
Noooo... I won't hear of it! I suggest we al listen to him bang on about how good it is for the next few years until we all understand correctly....

Edited by mini-mad - 14 July 2018 at 5:08pm
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

Originally posted by concept-10 concept-10 wrote:

https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html Confused
Surely Victor can't be wrong lol.Ouch
Noooo... I won't hear of it! I suggest we al listen to him bang on about how good it is for the next few years until we all understand correctly....
That may take some doing.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

But if you load the new Spotify for PKN app, and click on Elton John’s latest playlist, he actually jumps out the fans and sings accapella 6 inches from your face - THAT’s how high quality that is!

This is quite possibly one of the best replies I've read on any thread ever...LOL
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 10:35am
Without going into the technical details, at the end of processing a LOT of bits cut/lost somehow due DA conversion around the amplifier. Also some of DSPs are quiet bad or worst (no one is really good, even top LAKE has problems) loosing bits, loosing informations of the signal. So you are really lucky if you left 16bits from the 24 once reached the speakers.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 7:45pm
Just thought of something else... doesn't Spotify use their own, encrypted, file format for downloaded copies? Not sure what DJ program you're planning on using, but what one incorporates Spotify?
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Djdarch View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djdarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2018 at 2:49pm
Djay Pro incorporates spotify , I was a bit apprehensive at first thinking it would be a bit Micky mouse . Ive used it for about a year now and its great , you can use your own collection or search spotify it works really really well . You need an internet connection to use spotify , no off line mode yet . Ive found it does cache the tracks somewhere on the computer (Mac) as once you've loaded a song once the next time its instantaneous. 
Like I say its really really good , even hooks up to most pioneer CDJ's .
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2018 at 4:49pm

Without going into the technical details, at the end of processing a LOT of bits cut/lost somehow due DA conversion around the amplifier. Also some of DSPs are quiet bad or worst (no one is really good, even top LAKE has problems) loosing bits, loosing informations of the signal. So you are really lucky if you left 16bits from the 24 once reached the speakers.

On the contrary side there is also the angle that in theory 24 bits is 144db dynamic range and there is practically no way in hell you are getting that at the analog front end of the conversion system. But the 24 bit length does allow for reduction of multiplication truncation errors, although a lot of DSPs that perform that operation will be using a higher depth bit storage such as 32bit to minimise such errors in the first place.

It is arguable as to what s/n a typical high end analog front end conversion process can achieve but even at 110dB going on simple theory there is little point in usual more than 18 bits per sample.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12