Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horn design just down to 100 hz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote romanbrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horn design just down to 100 hz
    Posted: 19 July 2018 at 4:04pm
Looking for plans for a horn design to go down only to 100 hz, using a 6" or 8" driver. 
I have a sub to take over at that point, and space is limited. I also have 400hz on up taken care of. 

Thanks for any input.

Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 4:49pm
hi
are you talking about hi fi or PA?
100 hz seems low for a 6 or 8" if it's PA, and a horn that loads to 100 hz needs to be big and deep. so maybe not useful if space is limited.
if you are looking for a useful answer you should add what have you got under 100 and over 400 hz, your needs and constraints.
romanbrass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote romanbrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 5:17pm
Hi fi. I will be using a k400 horn on top and 2 svs 1000 subs on bottom. I want to have the same horn character in The 100 Hertz to 400 Hertz range  that a large horn would have in that same range but I am so limited my room size then I cannot use a big horn. A horn that would work down to 100 Hertz would be just fine with me because the rest of the system will be so good.
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 5:26pm
An AX-88 gets down to 180Hz with 2 8" drivers. That's about the lowest I've seen reasonable performance with this driver size on a horn. It does it very well though and that's why we use them (I'm also biased as an owner).

For an 100Hz horn you need to be thinking 12" (15" could also work too though) for a true horn. They're gonna be really big (more than a metre long and about a square metre on the mouth). If you can deal with this then go for it, horns like that sound awesome, otherwise you need to do something else...

Look at Real Horns.de systems or the old Dangernoise (before Rich cut them down to go through doors) to see the silliness.
Don't test the champignon sound
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 5:51pm
well if it's for hifi a 6 or a 8" could work but you can't cheat physics.
a real horn needs to be 3,40 meters to go to 100hz.
That usually gets compromised to 1/4 but still means 85 cms…
Look at this, i can't say anything about the quality of this design but should give some measure… those are midbass horns.

midbass horn volvotreter

If the k400 is the Klipsh one, and you are looking for authentic tone, you could clone a La Scala, maybe a little smaller for higher cutoff, but i think the original used a 15".

you should look also at builds on diyaudio, plenty of threads and pictures about home systems, here it's a more of pa oriented forum.
midbass horn volvotreter

Edited by Jo bg - 19 July 2018 at 5:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply