Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TS100 Soldering Iron battery and charger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TS100 Soldering Iron battery and charger
    Posted: 28 July 2018 at 10:43pm
So I've finally ordered a TS100 and this has been suggested as a battery to run it:

I don't want to go any lower than 22.2v as I need to be able to do some heavy duty bits. The bit I have no idea about is a charger for this. Can someone point me in the right direction? I want this to last a while. I've got one of those Maplin temp controlled ones but doing onsite LED work means I need something more portable.
blah blah blah blah blah......
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2018 at 8:53am
Turnigy Accucell 6

BTW that link of yours seems to have ben hi-jacked by viglink (eck).

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2018 at 1:40pm
ace, that looks just the ticket. Out of interest, how do links get jacked like that? Is it within the forum or was it put in by my laptop?
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2018 at 6:48pm
I would have assumed the iron has a DC-DC converter built in so it shouldn't matter too much what the input voltage is, you ought to be able to use a 4s pack to run it surely? 
At 12v it should just use twice the current as it would at 24v, for the same heat output. 
If you use LiFePO4 cells, a 4s pack runs over a very similar voltage range to a 12v lead-acid. And if you get a pack that includes a good protection and balance board, or add one to a basic pack, you can charge from a normal car battery charger. 
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2018 at 8:01pm
so I’ve just done some more reading up about them, output power is voltage dependent and I think for now I’ll run it off one of my many 18v Makita batteries. I can butcher one of the usb charger heads and give it 18v (40w) which should be enough for a speakon...
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2018 at 11:34pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 8:39am
I've used the gas soldering irons in the past and whilst they are good in the field, temperature control is always pretty vague so for soldering up LED strips or small components its pretty hit or miss. The TS100 has an accelerometer in it that drops the power and then boost it up to temp when it detects movement. Given that and pretty accurate temp control, I'll report back over the next few uses and let you know how I get on. 
 Post Reply Post Reply