Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Port velocity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2018 at 12:31am
I think I have been a bit confusing in my use of 'flare' and 'radius'. The paper talks about flaring the whole length of the port with a radius (NFR~0.5 optimum but at high levels NFR=0 works as well). In addition to this they round the end of the port with a radius of 0.2*D
0krizia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0krizia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2018 at 11:48am
Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

Based on the studies mentioned in this papers overview, ports with a large radius end termination (NFR = 0.5 as an optimum) are superior to non flared ports both in gain and distortion. However there are some culprits, as most of the studies discussed in this paper focus on the difference between equal diameter ports and not on the difference between flared versus large diameter ports. They also seem to focus on listening levels 10 - 30 dB lower then PA output levels.

The studies note that the effect becomes smaller with increased tuning and increased port output. The effect is mainly large on small input signals below ~10 V. As port velocity increases to near turbulence, the effect diminishes greatly. The only way to keep the results of these studies valid, is to increase the port diameter or surface area, in order to keep the port velocity low

The largest port velocity reduction I saw in these studies was near 3.5 m/sec. (in the middle of the port area) which is obviously easily over matched by an increase in port area.

So the actual conclusion is that you shouldn't use flared ports to overcome the short comings of ports with insufficient port area. You should first get the port velocity away from any turbulent level by choosing a sufficient port area and then preferably choose a sufficiently flared port (small flares can actually be worse in effect).

Which would mean that port area still trumps port flares.

Do you have link to this study ? It sounds like very intresting reading material.
0krizia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0krizia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2018 at 11:52am
Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

5" comes down to 125 mm, 6" comes down to 150 mm which are both standard sizes for PVC drain pipe, which is at least 3.2 mm thick. 150 mm is also available as air ventilation pipe, in that case it's only 1.5 mm thick. Drain pipe is also available in black, in that case it's usually PP (polypropene)

Using two 125 mm pipes would be enough, you could flare them but it's not needed. Size trumps flaring. Personally, for rental I would choose the thicker tube for it's robustness,

You are absolutely right. I found some pipes now. It looks like I was just searching for the wrong pipes, thanks
0krizia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0krizia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2018 at 11:55am
Thanks for all feedback, if I can make space for it, I will install 6" ports.

I have taken some pictures of the project so far and ill continue to do so until im finish. If any of you are intrested I will post a thread about the project in this forum in a few weeks. 

Edited by 0krizia - 19 August 2018 at 11:57am
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2018 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by 0krizia 0krizia wrote:

Thanks for all feedback, if I can make space for it, I will install 6" ports.

I have taken some pictures of the project so far and ill continue to do so until im finish. If any of you are intrested I will post a thread about the project in this forum in a few weeks. 

Yes, please do - or just add to this thread.
We always like to see actual cabinets being built, rather than just talked about  Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123