Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smoke machine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smoke machine
    Posted: 18 August 2018 at 11:24pm
I've got two smoke machines... one 400w and one 800w. BOTH now have had the thermal fuse "blow" on them. On both machines the heating element need replacing (age mostly) as they are the reasons both thermal fuses went. Only problem I have is both cheap Chinese no name brand jobbies. So becuase of said fact when I tried to peal the heat shrink off of both fuses it's left a dirty sticky.... well put it this way, I can't read whats wrote on them. 

ANYBODY have any idea what temp fuse I'm ment to be looking for on both of them?

I've tried Google but they all lead to forums just saying "replace the fuse" but not saying what bloody fuse it is!!!!!!! They are pennies on eBay and so are the new heating elements but I don't want to bypass the fuses and leave myself wide open to them just bursting into flames... I did think of replacing the fuses with rated cut out switches.. but again, what temp am i going for? They range from 60 degrees all the way up to about 215 degrees! 

Little help please.. or a link to a similar rated smoke machine with a service manual would at least give me a ball park to start with.

Edited by mini-mad - 18 August 2018 at 11:26pm
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2018 at 2:20am
If you can't get an answer is it something you could see the ordinary working temp of with a digital thermometer?
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2018 at 3:40am
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

If you can't get an answer is it something you could see the ordinary working temp of with a digital thermometer?
I don't know what the correct Woking temp is to know if it's right.. I'll dig out my laser thermometer in the morning and get back with temps
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2018 at 4:56pm
If this is the temp switch for the heating block, it's used to regulate the temperature of the block to prevent overheating rather than stop it bursting into flames.

Glycols (vegetable glycol in smoke machines) when overheated become carcinogenic, so you don't want to be pumping rooms full of it.
200C looks to be the trigger point from this study for VG...

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/new-studies-find-carcinogens-in-vg-and-pg-at-high-temps-even-in-tootle-puffers.791711/
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2018 at 5:01pm
THANK YOU!  So a fuse a tickle under that should be fine... I will be ordering new heaters none the less.

..can't find my Damn digital thermometer Angry

Edited by mini-mad - 20 August 2018 at 5:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply