Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newb looking for some general advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unfold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newb looking for some general advice
    Posted: 22 August 2018 at 4:42am
Hello all,

After years of being a member of the site, I'm finally getting prepped to build my first system.

Not being super rich I would still like to purchase the best gear I can and appreciate this Rig may take a while to get out and start making some noise.

*Please note* Follows are a fair amount of questions Smile

What I have so far:

Source:

A&H Xone 4D mixer / 2x Pioneer PLX-1000 / 2x Pioneer CDJ's (Not mine not sure of model details).

System (So Far):

2x Eminence KAPPA 15LF 8ohm 15" 600watt Drivers 

- which I intend to build into a pair of HD15 cabs.

2x Tannoy CPA12 - Dual Concentric PA Speakers - uses a Tannoy 3134 12" high output waveguide Dual Concentric Driver

- I'm trying to find out some further details on these speakers, however, the scans on the famous hilberink.nl Tannoy fansite are very difficult to read as you can see if you visit the site: http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy41.htm (the CPA12's are near the bottom of the page).

My main question at the moment regards using a dual concentric driver in my system and what sort of loudspeaker management system I would be best to look at that will be able to support this part of the rig. 

I'm planning on transferring the drivers from their original cabs into boxes that will suit the style of the rest of the system - I expect I'll build boxes of a similar size to the original cabs (perhaps a bit bigger) the tannerds on the hilberink site should be able to provide me with appropriate crossover designs for the new slightly larger cabs or will this not required as I should be using an active crossover in my rack?

Finally, I plan to add, at first, 1 pair of either C-Subs or 184 Subs. The system will mostly be playing Jungle, Dancehall and most other types of bass music, which of these subs would be better for me to build? I don't want to build scoop bins! 

Over time I plan to expand the system to have 2 pairs of subs, 2 pairs of HD15's and we'll see what happens with the top half of the system!

I would also really appreciate some advice as to what I require to have in my rack to run my soundsystem, I know I require amplifiers but its what goes between the speakers and the amps to control everything that I really need advice on.

As mentioned above, I'm new to this so fairly simple responses would be appreciated Thumbs Up 

Thanks for any advice you lovely folk may be able to provide me with.

All the best,

unf0ld

BIG / BAD / HEAVY (In preferred order!)

https://www.mixcloud.com/Unfold/
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 9:39am
I would recomend keeping the tannoys running passive with the built in crossovers - you can run a simple 2 way active crossover to split the signal from your mixer into bass and high frequencies and send everything over (for example) 150 Hz to the tannoys. The passive crossover will then split this signal again at the correct point for the high frequency driver.

Signal path will be; mixer feeds into active crossover, this splits the signal and feeds into your amplifiers. These power your speakers. nothing inbetween amps and speakers apart from the cables.

If you want to re house the tannoys, why not keep the volume of the cab the same, then you don't need to replace the crossover?

Personally I would leave them well alone and concentrate your efforts elsewhere.

HD15s are not a good choice for bass unless you plan on running lots (6 is recomended) or adding 'subs' below them. A reflex design is likely to better suit your requirements and be easier to get sounding good as a beginer
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
unfold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unfold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 10:46am
Thank you for the advice imageoven.

I am planning on adding subs at a later date (when I've got some more cash to play with), however I appreciate the suggestion of of using a reflex design instead.

I've had a look through the plans on the main page, can you point out which model is classed as a reflex design?

I was thinking of keeping the tannoys in a similar sized box to save having to muck about with the crossover, it's good to have my suspicions confirmed.

I presume a 2 way active crossover will be fine for running the tannoys and the reflex, when I eventually add the subs will I be able to continue using this style of crossover or will that require an upgrade?

Also any suggestions for a good starter x-over?

Thanks again 🙂
BIG / BAD / HEAVY (In preferred order!)

https://www.mixcloud.com/Unfold/
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 2:02pm
The G sub is a reflex design. Basically a box with the speaker in it and a hole (usualy called a port) in it. There are lots of good designs around (Fane and B&C websites have popular 15" ones available for their drivers) Which can usualy be modified easily to suit a particular driver.

Originally posted by unfold unfold wrote:

I presume a 2 way active crossover will be fine for running the tannoys and the reflex, when I eventually add the subs will I be able to continue using this style of crossover or will that require an upgrade?

It's worth going straight to a digital cross over (also called a LMS - Loudspeaker Management System) as its much more versatile, particularly if you are going to be changing your set up in the future. The Berhinger DCX Ultradrive is the standard advice here, they are cheap,( not much more than an analog crossover) and reliable. Probably 50% or more of the system operators on Speakerplans use them, or have done in the past.

Edited by imageoven - 22 August 2018 at 2:05pm
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 3:29pm
As you already have Kappa 15LF you could also consider building a pair of CUBO 15s. Cross over to the Tanoys at 110Hz ish. The Kappas aren’t really a bass driver but they will be “ok” in the Cubos. You can then upgrade to better drivers when funds allow and build more when you want to cover more people. The only caveat to this is, reflex will provide deeper bass, but only with proper sub drivers, which your Kappas definitely are not!!
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 3:30pm
Almost forgot!! +1 on getting a Berry Ultradrive
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by TMH Music TMH Music wrote:

A The Kappas aren’t really a bass driver

It is the LF model he has.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 6:25pm
those tannoys are reasonably good speakers. keep them as DJ monitors and build something else.
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2018 at 12:50am
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

Originally posted by TMH Music TMH Music wrote:

A The Kappas aren’t really a bass driver

It is the LF model he has.

That is true, but I just think there are better drivers that would do 40hz up, in a reflex, than even LF version of Kappa 15. It is, after all, a driver with only 5.5mm xmax; I personally would consider it more suitable for kick bin, or a big mid/top, but this is only my opinion and using the Kappas in cubo 15s is only a suggestion.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2018 at 1:04am
Kappa LF pro. Squeeze every last drop of Xmax out of it... 7.1mm off the top of my head.

The cubo15 sounds better to my ears with a 4inch coil over a 3inch
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2018 at 11:29am
friend of mine has some cubo 15s with kappa lf pros, they sound very good indeed :)
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
 Post Reply Post Reply