Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reggae Sound

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reggae Sound
    Posted: 01 September 2018 at 7:15am
Hi
I'm new to the forum and only found it last week doing research for a small domestic party system I want to build. So I don't want to build the biggest sound but I want to build one that sounds very good.
I'm a reggae music lover from when I was 12 years old and consider myself lucky to have been a teenager in the 80's a golden time for reggae music.
I already own a pretty decent stereo but it doesn't play my old reggae vinyl the way I want it to sound.
I have just bought a Goldring Lenco L75 and am planning on buying a Valve phono stage and Valve pre with tone controls and a pair of HH V800 Mono amps. I would love to have a massive KT88 500watt power amp but my budget isn't that big.
I want it to be old school so just one TT and a normal valve pre not a purpose built reggae pre but one with tone controls that I can maybe one day modd to have two kill switches Bass and Treble no effects nor parametric EQ just an old fashioned house party system that sounds amazing and can also be used to play my music everyday.
And have decided that I want to build some smallish speakers.

It is a system for my family and friends to enjoy that can be packed into a couple of cars or a small van and taken to a house party or barbecue.

I would be very grateful of any advice you might share .
Natara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2018 at 10:05am
As an update I have reserved a Firebottle 2 Valve phono amp and a Firebottle Valve prototype Preamp
These are made b a very well respected designer from Art of Sound and should fit in well with my plans.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2018 at 11:04am
Based on your description I would recommend a pair of big full range transducers, Fane has good and afford a ble 12 and 15 inch models. Build a scoop or a reflex box. Of course there will be a compromise in lower cutoff, but overall i would say its a perfect and easy solution to get started for your purposes.

.....and it cant get more oldschool

Edited by bob4 - 01 September 2018 at 11:20am
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2018 at 11:15am
Pair of 15" mini scoops?... there's always somebody selling a pair of MDF made mini scoops on eBay. Could be a cheap start with a pair of 12" tops and some PPX amps (if GAZ hasn't already bought them all)...

I'm not a scoop fan but surely a two up two down system like that should be easily portable I a single car and stack nicely in gardens for BBQs

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2018 at 11:31am
Imho, reflex for bass if mainly for party garden work, as decent low frequency extension and limited 'throw' so easier on the neighbours. Was very impressed by the Valve-a-tron system, valve based with reflex.
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
 Post Reply Post Reply