Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any dedicated 8" woofer around?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrederikMA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any dedicated 8" woofer around?
    Posted: 02 September 2018 at 6:08pm
I'm looking into using 8" drivers for a short low-profile (8 inch height) manifold horn/v-baffle layout kinda like Renkus-Heinz ST4. The alternative is high power 12" or 15" drivers, which has the edge on volume displacement but are acoustically too large at crossover for an MTM layout.

All the 8" drivers I can find seem to be optimized for a crossover way above my intended purpose with xmax around 5mm, mms around 30g and 2"-voice coils. So my question is any REAL 8" woofers around? I would suspect there was, given the number of existing line arrays using 8"drivers crossed low.

Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2018 at 7:09pm
8s tend to be quite low efficiency when they get into the 'proper woofer' excursion etc. You're best off looking at studio / hifi drivers to get proper low end if it absolutely needs to be 8s. Unfortunately the efficiency will be low and the power will be limited. 2" coil for 8s is pretty normal.
Don't test the champignon sound
carlosdelondres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosdelondres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2018 at 7:55pm
not tried them, but considered. Seem to be liked on diyaudio...

AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2018 at 8:15pm
Hi

by quick look of some prosound manufacturers 8" models

18sound offering 300W aes, 65mm vc and 26mm peak to peak mechanical excursion. Don't know the price tho, it's neodymium magnet only.

and bit similar B&C ferrite model

any good for you?

-Andy
torturing electrons since ......
FrederikMA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrederikMA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2018 at 10:33pm
Yeah I suspected the 18sound 8nmb750 to be as gold as it gets. It has the edge when compared to nw650 on most parameters except weight. FWIW beyma has the new 8mc500nd which is rated at 500w aes, although you might run out of excursion before. Still good powerhandling is always desirable.
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2018 at 1:05pm
[QUOTE=FrederikMA]I'm looking into using 8" drivers for a short low-profile (8 inch height) manifold horn/v-baffle layout kinda like Renkus-Heinz ST4. The alternative is high power 12" or 15" drivers, which has the edge on volume displacement but are acoustically too large at crossover for an MTM layout.

All the 8" drivers I can find seem to be optimized for a crossover way above my intended purpose with xmax around 5mm, mms around 30g and 2"-voice coils. So my question is any REAL 8" woofers around? I would suspect there was, given the number of existing line arrays using 8"drivers crossed low.

[/QUOTE

Have a look at the Faital Pro 8PR200.

You're up against Hoffman's Iron Law here - small size, low bass, high efficiency - pick any two. You've got small size with 8" drivers, so you're gonna have to balance up LF extension vs efficiency.
I don't think 8" line array modules get crossed particularly low - there are often "bass modules" at the top of the array to help the line array cabs meet up with the real subwoofers.

If you do want some bass from an 8", home audio subwoofers have 1/2"+ of Xmax, which will get you a decent amount of bass when used in the right cabinet. You'd be lucky to get above 85dB@1w, though.

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply