Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fun way to visualise cardioid pattern

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chunkydj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fun way to visualise cardioid pattern
    Posted: 25 September 2018 at 11:24am
Hi All,

I've been tasked with making a fun, visual video demonstrating the QSC Cardioid Sub KS212C - I know the technical way is with microphones and drawing a pattern but I've been tasked with making something a little more 'viral', in pursuit of Facebook likes etc. 

I was thinking something along the lines of a glass of water in front and behind, or trying to make a phone call infant vs behind, or paper flapping or trying to knock something over with the bass, bearing in mind I'm only getting the one sub!

I would try a whole load of things out for a few days but I will only have the sub for a super short period of time so I want to get a few things ready and try them all out in one hit.

Thoughts on a postcard, a Snickers in the post for the best result!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2018 at 11:39am
Well sadly the 15dB rear rejection isn't broadband, it's at one particular frequency, so be wary of that when trying to make something marketing focused.

They're also not really loud enough to impact something like a phone call (which has a highpass on it anyways) or knock something over. You could try the glass of water but there'll still be resonance transferred through the floor into the surface you put it on, so again it's probably a case of suck it and see.

Cymatics is probably what you want to research for this one.
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2018 at 12:25pm
Smoke machine with a laser or two?
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2018 at 3:46pm
Birthday cake with some candles? Not sure if you'll get enough pressure to have any noticeable effects
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2018 at 4:43pm
It's a single sub that has rear rejection at the back with only 2x 12" drivers inside?...

Why not have a signal generator for sweeping the bass and a hand held dB monitor and just make sure as it's sweeping you move to the rear at the same point at which it rejects the -15dB frequency... ok it's a little smoke and mirrors as you will be only demonstrating the very narrow frequency band at which it rejects the best and not pointing it out while your doing it but would make for a nice video to put up and show that it does do what it says but not verbally saying at XXhz 
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2018 at 7:40pm
a ring of ping pong balls suspended on fishing wire?

Smoke and lasers was my first thought and still seems best to me too but the snickers rights to that have gone! LOL

Edited by JonB67 - 25 September 2018 at 7:42pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2018 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

a ring of ping pong balls suspended on fishing wire?

Smoke and lasers was my first thought and still seems best to me too but the snickers rights to that have gone! LOL

Actually, ping pong balls on fishing line with a laser bouncing off them might be better than smoke! 

JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2018 at 10:58pm
All about the laser beams!

I still get the snickers if its best though, you cant rob a guy of his marathon by just throwing laser beams at his balls. Tongue

Edited by JonB67 - 25 September 2018 at 11:01pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2018 at 11:31pm
Ez now, Frankie says 'relax'.......
 Post Reply Post Reply