Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Designing new mid tops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie-ashton-solo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Designing new mid tops
    Posted: 28 September 2018 at 1:36pm
looking for some insight into mid top designs and pros and cons regarding positioning of the horn in particular.
Drivers being used are 2 x bms 12n620 and 1 bms 4590 on a 60 x 40 horn. The only way I have seen this configuration used is dual 12 plus horn above, however I am interested in putting the horn in between the two 12s. Which I can't find any info on or find this configuration used.
Can anyone tell me why this would be the case?  Is it purely aesthetics? Would I gain quality by having it in between? 
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2018 at 2:33pm
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2018 at 3:48pm
Plenty of people do that in HiFi, maybe less so in PA. Search for MTM configuration.
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2018 at 4:39pm
If classical ground stack, like reggae sound, highs on top could help bring them above head height. Not nice to have comps in your face, and those frequencies get blocked by people.
Mtm on the other side reduces sound on floor and ceiling, less reflections.
But the more you space them the lower you should cross to the CD.
It influences also dispersion at crossover...
Have a read on the peter morris diy project on soundforums. Lot of info about mtm and food for thoughts.
You may look into how driver spacing limits how high you get perfect coupling, ideally you should be within 1/4 -1/3 wavelength center to center to get them in phase.

Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2018 at 5:22pm
MTM configration works well with that coaxial compression driver, as long as you get a horn which has low cut off, somewhere between 500-800Hz.

I think Blu Aran sells some P-audio ones which could work.

That Coaxial though, needs loads of taming before it sounds any good. I did some stuff with it for one of my customers and it was like a night and day difference... So much more warmer and present mids compared to that typical harsh and shouty sound it has.

jamie-ashton-solo View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie-ashton-solo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2018 at 6:39pm
pasi I'm using the horn from the Saturn. So natural roll off around 750hz
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2018 at 6:51pm
That's not necessarily the best sounding and most useful horn.

I'd look into something like this http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=PAUPH2380&browsemode=category

Benefit is the much lower profile allowing you to put 12" drivers closer together and having better control over the vertical dispersion.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie-ashton-solo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2018 at 8:05pm
thank you for that I'll take a look. I was originally going to use the limmer 033 as that's the one they use with this diver in the coda rx40 but something told me the ohm may be a better fit. What do you think you this? 
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2018 at 9:58pm
I went for a V baffle arrangement when over MTM.
It gives you the option to run and mid section on top of the standard cab if needed in essence giving a MTM layout.
Im using the same 12's but a BMS 4594nd on a RCF HF64

Edited by dlyxover - 28 September 2018 at 10:00pm
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie-ashton-solo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2018 at 11:59pm
Yes I love the look of that.  Is it your own design or copied off other plans? Would love to do something like that.  
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2018 at 3:56pm
It's my design but I took inspiration from a few sources (we're not inventing the wheel here lol)

PM me if want more info

Edited by dlyxover - 29 September 2018 at 3:57pm
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
 Post Reply Post Reply