Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help in selection of amplifier

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2018 at 9:26am
Originally posted by JPF JPF wrote:

Hi,

I would like to share with you an issue I am having.

I have tried 2 amps for the mid tops of the project of the link posted above, the t.amp TSA 4000 and the tsa 4 1300. 

With the first one the test of the cab was ok but with the tsa 4 1300 I have an issue. As soon as I turn up the knob of the amp a noise (like a loud buzz) starts sounding on the 1" compressor driver HD1050. 

Does anybody knows or gess what would be the reason of this problem? could it be something in regards to the passive crossover of the cab or it is simply that it is not the right amp for this project?

Thanks!

Did you buy new - or 2nd hand? And have you tried the amp with any other cab? There may be some sort of instability being generated between the amp and xover. That could happen with some of the cheaper/badly designed swithchmode PSU´s, but would be odd with a T-Amp as they are quite well designed.

In any case, it does sound like the amp is faulty. If new (from Thomann) you have a 3 year guarantee. Just return it. If 2nd hand, you´re going to have to argue with the previous owner!  Unhappy

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
JPF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2018 at 2:34pm
Hi and thanks for your help,

Today I have been testing again both amps with other identical cab and the result was the same. With the tsa 4000 there is hiss but only noticeable if sticking the ear to the cab, I think this is normal. But with the tsa 4 1300 again the same buzz-noise as soon as knob is turned up. I would discard then failures in the cabling or crossover and maybe the problem is the amp.

Fortunately the amp is new so I will follow your advice and will return it and will see if it happens again with a new-repaired amp.

ArthurG View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2018 at 10:03am
If we take into account their cheap price, T.Amps are decent in value for money, but if you judge only by their quality and performance, they become mediocre.
Especially their 4ch, lot of noise, bad sound quality, no bass, they are the bottom of the barrel... That being said, looks like nobody cares if you check the rave reviews they receive Dead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12