Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amplifier for Fulcrum Acoustic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2018 at 8:06am
100% - you have to try these things for yourself.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
PremierMusicGroup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PremierMusicGroup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2018 at 4:29am
My friends
I’m in America. These amps are not readily available. A-B testing is not really possible that’s why I’m seeking opinions before I try to take a plunge. Are we not agreeing that XTA is at the top? 
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2018 at 5:44am
Originally posted by PremierMusicGroup PremierMusicGroup wrote:

My friends
I’m in America. These amps are not readily available. A-B testing is not really possible that’s why I’m seeking opinions before I try to take a plunge. Are we not agreeing that XTA is at the top? 

I live in Perth where I can't really try anything before buying, iv learnt from asking a lot of similar questions that you won't get a black and white 'x is the best' answer that everyone agrees on. In fact, no one will agree on anything most of the time. This isn't really that surprising as sound is subjective even if we wish it wasn't sometimes.

You can ask your question, people will give their 2 cents and you will have to fill in the gaps your self ... or find a place to hire and try.

People won't agree that XTA is the top, nor will they agree that MC2, FFA, Powersoft, Linea, Lab Gruppen or anyone else is the best. If they did, then all the people who can afford them would go out and buy them and no one would use anything else. 

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2018 at 7:45am

My friends

Where in America? All of these companies have distributors. Have you called them and asked if there is a local dealer or user? Yanks aren't afraid to drive a few hours from my knowledge and friends, so surely, if you're about to spunk $5k+ on an amp, you'd put a bit more effort in than posting on a forum? I bloody well would. Or at the very least, I would ASK THE MANUFACTURER OF THE PRODUCT LIKE I'VE SAID ABOUT SIX DAMN TIMES SO FAR.

Edited by toastyghost - 07 October 2018 at 7:45am
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2018 at 8:38am
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

I just need an amp to provide a beautiful sound all the way to sub cross over frequency of about 100hz or 120hz

Isnt that what everyone wants? But people like different things.  The only way you'll find the one that sounds good to your ears to hear it with your ears.

When you include the sentence prior to that on original post, it kind excludes several amps. And regardless what people say, some things aren't "subjective"

To OP:

But anyhow, listen and find out by yourself. For me your criterias exclude everything else except 8004 and APA. They are just so much better than anything else out there what i've heard terms of quality. Lab PLM is also very good amp for mid-highs.
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2018 at 8:47am
Originally posted by citizensc citizensc wrote:

My friends

I live in Perth where I can't really try anything before buying, iv learnt from asking a lot of similar questions that you won't get a black and white 'x is the best' answer that everyone agrees on. In fact, no one will agree on anything most of the time. This isn't really that surprising as sound is subjective even if we wish it wasn't sometimes.

You can ask your question, people will give their 2 cents and you will have to fill in the gaps your self ... or find a place to hire and try.

People won't agree that XTA is the top, nor will they agree that MC2, FFA, Powersoft, Linea, Lab Gruppen or anyone else is the best. If they did, then all the people who can afford them would go out and buy them and no one would use anything else. 

Being best in commercial use depends on several factors and unfortunately sound quality isn't even near the top of the list. APA might be the best ever sounding but its price point and software puts it behind PLMs or X4s in active sound hire use.

- Return for investment
- Reliability
- Cross hireability
- Price
- Software
- Sound quality

Quite often you find criterias like that in that order of importance when it comes down to selection of amps. And in that light, APA isn't the best since there isn't that many out there so you can't hire more or hire yours that often that for example X4s. Or if you want good software, unfortunately that's where XTA loses as well. Audiocore is fast when you get a hang of it but learning cure is high and it doesn't give all the information like Armonia has for X4. Several metering options just aren't there in similar way.

But when you take sound quality as a criteria and make that the most important thing, APA wins hands down.
PremierMusicGroup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PremierMusicGroup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2018 at 4:43pm
I hear you Pasi. Ask people about X4/X8 and the first thing that come out of their mouths is rack space! I’ll take the 1U amp unit all day if it has the goods to deliver ! They save tons of money on logistics too. They must sound good enough and have good form factor that’s why switching to it is easily a business decision. What we’re discussing here is best sound money can buy right now. No, I don’t think the gap is that close. The hike from Good enough to best available is quite a steep climb.
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2018 at 5:43pm
For me, best what money can buy is APA. No questiions.

That is, until i hear the 8004 properly. That has very very promising background and so far what i've heard it, it has sounded good. But that's always been on boxes what i don't know that well.

Mind you, if it did make FK1 sound great, then it can't be bad ;)

logsquared1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logsquared1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2018 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

My friends

Where in America? All of these companies have distributors. Have you called them and asked if there is a local dealer or user? Yanks aren't afraid to drive a few hours from my knowledge and friends, so surely, if you're about to spunk $5k+ on an amp, you'd put a bit more effort in than posting on a forum? I bloody well would. Or at the very least, I would ASK THE MANUFACTURER OF THE PRODUCT LIKE I'VE SAID ABOUT SIX DAMN TIMES SO FAR.

He is right, Its not easy to listen to these high end amps here in the states.  Calling the manufacturer usually gets you directed to the distributor.  Some distributors are more helpful than others.  The middle man culture here in the states is a motherf*cker.   With some high end brands the distributors are also end users so they are selective to who they sell to.   

My suggestion to the OP is to buy the Fulcrum powered from the factory.  Maybe you can gain a bit with an outboard rack of stuff set-up by yourself...... Is the extra effort and $ worth it for the marginal gain?

If you decide to do it outboard then buy something that can be easily found, and more important serviced here. 

Get the X4, X8 and be done with it.

Edited by logsquared1 - 07 October 2018 at 11:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12