Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Woofer options for tops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yTho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woofer options for tops
    Posted: 06 October 2018 at 10:25am
I'm looking to build my first set of tops to go with my project system, but hopefully with the intent of having them around for a while rather than the subs and kicks I threw together with little science involved.

I've picked out a compression driver & horn I'd like to go in the cab, I went with 1inch compression drivers as they have a better 18kHz+ response. My first choice was 'P-Audio PreNeo 450N' but theyre discontinued and I haven't been able to find any for sale as of yet. Second choice is 'P-Audio BM-D446 Mk2'.

At the moment I'm looking for options for woofers that will crossover nicely with these ( around 1/1.5kHz).
I've had a browse on BlueAran but failed to come up with my own options mainly due to inexperience with compression drivers, and not knowing exactly what to expect from, say 50w, and how much woofer power I need to keep up with it. Is there a general consensus that if you go with a 1" driver you run with a particular size in woofer?

At this point I just want to put these woofers into Hornresp and play with the results but could do with a few suggestions from people who know what they're doing LOL

Cheers.

Edited by yTho - 06 October 2018 at 10:35am
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2018 at 7:33pm
I think we need a bit more information on what you want the system to be able to do.

Despite what the specs say, it's highly unusual for a 1" compression driver to be useable below 2kHz and even then you need a decent sized horn/waveguide.

The BM D446 is capable of going a bit lower than the D450 but at the expense of the high end.  If you can put the crossover up at about 2.2kHz then the SD-44 drivers are slightly nicer at the top end.

yTho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yTho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2018 at 8:03pm
Forgive I planned for the woofers and CD to go in the same cab.
Im not at my computer atm but i think i planned to have the BM bolted to a Ph-2370. Any idea where this would preferably be crossed over at?
I just need the woofers to meet this point, and if they go lower than 200Hz it's a bonus.
Atm my bass consists of 2 scaled down hd15s and scaled down x1. Hd12 and x.8 I call 'em, each with 300w drivers. I'm hoping the mid tops I plan to build will call for an upgrade to my subs.
I play alot of Tek, dnb and trance to give you an idea of what will be played through it.
 Post Reply Post Reply