Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Has Caused this Damage?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 4:09pm
Indeed that to, I was somewhat going for the paramerters that will keepit alive as to what actually might work. But fair point, they are selective beasts.
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2018 at 3:34pm
Will be interesting to see what the tuning and excursion predictions are for that cabinet and driver... I would've expected that driver and cabinet to be tuned more into the 50/60Hz and up band than a 30Hz sub capable cabinet.

Looks like you've just gotten carried away and given it too much beans in a band where it needs to be power limited and carefully operated to survive.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2018 at 3:53pm
Without dimensions of the cabinet only recone.
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
AJ113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2018 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by RoadRunnersDust RoadRunnersDust wrote:

Looks like you've just gotten carried away and given it too much beans in a band where it needs to be power limited and carefully operated to survive.
Yes, regrettably that's about the size of it. The snare was the loudest thing on stage even with the mic out of the FOH mix. I was trying to push everything to match it and I went a bit too far.

I think you are right about the tuning, they look too small be dishing out much below 50Hz and I never got the impression that they were going that low when I used them.

My decision is to give this up as a bad job. I don't know the tuning frequencies, so I don't know the ideal loudspeaker for them, I'm not 100% sure that the original driver is a 15w700 so I can't even go for a recone - and even if I did, who's to say that the driver is right for the cab, bearing in mind they are allegedly prototypes? Put it down to experience and move on. A man's got to know his limitations.....
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2018 at 4:03pm
Get a tape measure out and get the internal dimensions of the cabinet and ports, then we can run it through HornResp and see if there are any other suitable drivers ;)

Even if you're not actively sending a lot of <50Hz signal to them, if the driver is de-coupling from the cabinet then the excursion will be going through the roof with very little power required to trash them.

I've got a pair of Shuttlesound/EV TL606ARX 15" reflex boxes (soon to be rehoused in a BPH cabinet) that I use for pub sized bands and they need a HPF around 50Hz to stop exactly this happening to the cones
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2018 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by AJ113 AJ113 wrote:

so I don't know the ideal loudspeaker for them, I'm not 100% sure that the original driver is a 15w700 so I can't even go for a recone
You can. Just find competent personSmile
You dont need driver ts parameters to recone it to very similar parameters.
You choose similar membrane wind voice coil same high as in the original. After ten years in industry im sure you can choose suspension easly too :)
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2018 at 4:37pm
Give Ian McDermott from AudioSurge on FB a shout for the recone, he should be able to sort you out if its something a bit weird Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12