Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp rack temperature?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingGwarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amp rack temperature?
    Posted: 26 October 2018 at 12:53pm
Easy all,

I am in the process of making an amp rack...the amps are encased in an 18mm-ply frame, then 25mm hard foam, then a 18mm-ply skin.

I wanted to line the inside with 8mm carpet to cover the ply and glue/expanding foam mess between amps and frame...but am worried it will act as an insulator and build up heat in the rack.

My 12u rack consists of an Ultradrive, QSC 2450, QSC 4050 and a Proline 3000...often found in hot sweaty nightclubs.

I would like to install some computer fans in the rack to circulate it but my amps kick hot air out the back so couldn't mount fans on the back end and don't think it would circulate air with an amp pressed against it!

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this and can advise me whether or not carpet on the inside will be ok?

Bless up!

Edited by KingGwarn - 26 October 2018 at 1:01pm
Soundman inna Brighton town
King Gwarn Sound System
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2018 at 1:16pm
not really an answer.. but if you're making your own rack, put rear rails on it. and if as you say the amps would be right up against fans if you fitted them.. then maybe make it a little deeper if you haven't already cut the wood.

it might suit exactly what you have now the way you're doing it, but you could change what you're using and it mightn't be as future proof.

also that sounds insanely heavy, 2 layers of 18mm...
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2018 at 3:32pm
carpet will make very little difference - nearly all the cooling is from air circulation.

if you want to keep the rear lid on the case use a fan tray to suck hot air out the front of the rack.

IMO a 1U gap at the top of the rack will be enough venting anyway. amps are designed with enough internal fans for their own cooling. extra fans may result in excessive air being pulled through which will clog up filters quicker. whatever you do just make sure you don't get a situation where warm air is coming out and being sucked back into and amp - this can happen if you have air coming out beneath the intake for an amp higher up the rack.
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2018 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by KingGwarn KingGwarn wrote:

I wanted to line the inside with 8mm carpet to cover the ply and glue/expanding foam mess between amps and frame

What is the intention of this idea?

Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
KingGwarn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingGwarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2018 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

carpet will make very little difference - nearly all the cooling is from air circulation.

if you want to keep the rear lid on the case use a fan tray to suck hot air out the front of the rack.

sweet - the lids will be off when i'm using it anyway.

Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

What is the intention of this idea? 

To make it look nice inside and to cover up my messy expanding foam and pu glue work! LOL
King Gwarn Sound System
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2018 at 11:25pm
but what's the expanding foam for!
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2018 at 12:41am
Expanding foam from a can is a bad idea.  When it compresses (the raison d'etre of shock absorbing foam) it doesn't rebound.  It crushes.

You're making a one-time shockrack, to be disposed after an impact like a used bike helmet.  Were you trying to save money?

Use high density foam that rebounds, like everybody else uses in flightcases and racks. It'll damp vibrations better than rigid foam and work for years.
KingGwarn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingGwarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2018 at 10:09am
The foam is filling the gaps in the internal frame ... Before the 25mm shock absorbant foam. This way the carpet/wrap will sit flat and tight all over. No pressure on the expanding foam.

Will try to upload a pic later!

Edited by KingGwarn - 27 October 2018 at 10:11am
King Gwarn Sound System
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2018 at 11:21am
Leave 1U between the amps.
 Post Reply Post Reply