Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AVC2 sounds Horrid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AVC2 sounds Horrid
    Posted: 05 June 2007 at 8:11am
Hi,

Got my AVC2 in the post... wired it up, with brand new neutrek XLRs and spade connectors, all soldered nicely with heatshrink on any exposed wire.

Bloomin thing sounds awfull... really really distorted sound, does seam to working in as far as the lights lighting up when the input is cranked, and does stop the signal getting any louder, just sounds horrid.

Anyone got any clues, if I take the AVC2 out of the chain everything sound wonderful, distortion is defo coming from the AVC2...

It sounds really, really bad, un-usable bad... can only describe it as distorted and alomost crackly.

Have I wired it wrong (can't see how I have, seams pretty straight forward).. or have I got a duff one???

Cheers for any help you guys can give,

Adam.
Peter Moller View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2007 at 10:02pm

Signal path balanced all the way?..

Any balanced to unbalanced conversions ?

/peter
real phone no: +45 four zero six two four four nine eight ( using obvious anti phone spam encryption )
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2007 at 10:36pm
cool.. a reply!!

Yea.. all balanced XLR all the way...

Looks like it's cooked.

I phoned formula sound who said they know the problem.. £50 repair.. the seller is going to pay for the repair.

Sorted.
Peter Moller View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2007 at 1:22am
Originally posted by adambomb adambomb wrote:

cool.. a reply!!

Yea.. all balanced XLR all the way...

Looks like it's cooked.

I phoned formula sound who said they know the problem.. £50 repair.. the seller is going to pay for the repair.

Sorted.

Atleast you arent the only one whos been having equipment issues lately..

Last night I had a Chevin A3000 go weird ( swapped it before the show started ) and an A6000 go thermal on one ch.

/peter
real phone no: +45 four zero six two four four nine eight ( using obvious anti phone spam encryption )
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2007 at 4:45pm
Oh man... my next ebay "bargain" an old Citronic V9 Amp (was gunna run my monitors).. died on arrival..

Turned it on a crackle-pop-pooofff...FLAMES.. dead. great.

I really love Ebay.. then I really really HATE ebay.
gingerbiscuit69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2007 at 12:37pm
tasty....
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2007 at 10:53am
Originally posted by adambomb adambomb wrote:

I phoned formula sound who said they know the problem.. £50 repair..

Sorted.

formula sound still have that wonderful family run british company philosophy; if it's got their name on it, they'll look after it. i have a few second hand bits and bats from them and they are always ready to offer help and advice over the phone, or they will take stuff in for repair or modification at short notice. lovely people, lovely kit.

james.
mardy hippy.
moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 12:17pm
do you know if formula sound build there products in this country or outsource to sunnier climes?
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 12:28pm
I reckon they must build it all in house... I think the enginner's name is Ian!

I just spoke to them, both output transisitors on mine were blown.. £10 each.. so £20 parts plus £50 labour... plus £5 postage.. £75 fixed.

They also said that this is just about the only thing that goes wrong with AVC2s.. usually caused by too much heat.

Ebay seller is paying for the repair so I'm not too bothered.. and atleast I now know that it's been bench tested / had a going going over by a guy that knows how they should work... cool.

Also.. very friendly / fast service... highly recommended.
moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 12:43pm
there just down the road from me and i'm desperately seeking work in the electronics/sound field...
if they build all their stuff in house, you never know your luck...
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2007 at 9:11pm
Got my AVC2 back from Formula sound today.. well packed!! and even cleaned and shrink wrapped!

Plugged it in, exactly as before.. and it works perfectly! So well I can't hear it.. it just stops the volume dead (without effecting the sound), turn it up too much and it turns it down. perfect!

Happy as Larry!
 Post Reply Post Reply