Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

speaker grills

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote premo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: speaker grills
    Posted: 14 November 2018 at 12:46am
I am wanting to fully grill my hog scoops, and have sent a few company's emails and have had a few reply's one of them sent me the following,  we are able to make your grills with R050A35 perforations (5mm holes at 35% open area).

We can allow to produce from 0.7mm electro galv sheet and powder coat in matt black.

I am wondering if this would work i feel 35% open aria is not enough, what dose everybody else use when it comes to grills on subs?

AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 3:47am
Markie is the go to member on here for grills. I have personally brought grills from him and have been happy. Maybe drop him a message I am sure he will be able to answer all your questions and provide a competitive quote
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 9:34am
I as far as I'm aware 60% open in the minimum.
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 12:12pm
The  consesus seems to be that grills should be at least 50% open area (the sheet I use is 60%). Going below 50% will generally reduce HF response, which of course will not affect hogs, but 35% sounds awfully low.

The big problem will be that 0.7mm sheet will not offer adequate protection for the drivers and will dent really easily. Even small mid tops normally have at least 1.2mm sheet. The sheet I use is 1.5mm
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 7:43pm
R5 T6 (5mm round holes offset 6mm) will give you 63% open area, but you won't find this sheet thicker than 1mm - otherwise the hole walls woud be deeper than wide and warp when punched.  As there's so little metal, you can box fold it by hand with a few blocks of wood, which saves having to invest in a brake.  

Keeps beercans & rodents out, wouldn't survive a good kicking.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 8:02pm
And yet the sheet I use is R4 T5 and is 1.5mm thick?????

The OP is based in New Zealand and  the sheet has a reference of ro50 A35. It's not possible to have 5mm hole on 3.5mm pitch so I would guess their reference means 5mm hole with 35% open area..... as stated by the OP.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2018 at 9:01pm
Guess they can punch thicker then... doubt I'd be able to easily bend 1.5mm by hand, and usefully big brakes cost big money.  Best leave it to you Markie...
 Post Reply Post Reply