Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1" comp from 4K up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1" comp from 4K up
    Posted: 21 November 2018 at 8:41am
Looking to replace my exceedingly old and battered comp drivers, looking for something that can do VHF well.

They will be crossed around 4.5khz taking over from 10" JBL 2123H in sealed box that I run from 800 all the way up.

Ideally I would like to pair with a relatively narrow dispersion horn, around 40 degrees so I can have 3 or 4 per side and not have loads of comb filtering.

Will be powered by a QSC PL325 so plenty of power available. Price is a factor, would prefer 6 or 8 cheap drivers with narrow horns to 2 expensive drivers with wide horns. Also cant be on massive horns as need to sit comfortably on relatively small boxes below but given the high crossover point I dont see the need for large horns.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2018 at 8:59am
Leaving the discussion of whether or not having that much horns next to each other is something you want, and if you really want to cross a 10" at 4.5kHz, i highly recommend the BMS 4538. Slightly pricier than the 4524 but can take a bit more power and be crossed lower than 4k5 which i think is worth it for your application.

But seriously, 1 or 2 4538 per side, with the 10" crossed at ~2kHz up to 2.5kHz, is gonna give you a much cleaner sound and less comb filtering. for narrow controlled directivity you need surface area down low. Horns with wider specced dispersion are always more CD compared to narrow ones simply due to the mouth area. Having 3 or 4 horns per side unless you are absolutely sure they are near perfect CD is something i personally would never do.

That 10" should be able to be crossed a bit lower than 800Hz.
Best regards,
Teun.
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2018 at 9:23am
Hope oz is treating you well Adrian!

My friend recently built some boxes with the 18 Sound HD125, which sounded decent running 7k upwards

They're also pretty cheap, so if you wanted to buy one for a test, it wouldn't break the bank

I very briefly used the BMS 4538 combined with the 18sound XT1086 horn years ago and that sounded super nice

I'm fairly sure that my mate who built the above boxes compared the HD125 vs 4538 and he said that the 18sound was better at the higher frequencies

Edited by Sinai Sound - 21 November 2018 at 10:12am
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2018 at 6:37pm
my choices would be BMS 4524 or B&C DE12 both reasonably priced and both sound very nice crossed over 3k ,ive used both to great affect
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2018 at 4:00am
18Sound ND3ST
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2018 at 7:11am
Combe filtering/dispersion aside 10" up to 4k then comp (bit like old school bullet cabs) can sound very sweet IMHO
It's everything, not everythink!
 Post Reply Post Reply