Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help needed with Martin Audio W8/W8S

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nheme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help needed with Martin Audio W8/W8S
    Posted: 25 November 2018 at 7:57am
Hello everyone

I've just come across your forums and decided to make a post here before reading through a couple of must-read posts because I'm not sure if we're having a specific problem or a general one.

Many years ago our band got a deal where we bought 2x Martin Audio W8 and 2x Martin Audio W8S after someone demonstrating them in a venue. We've been on and off playing, and now as we're starting up again, our expert has moved far away and basically I'm left in charge figuring out how to get everything up and running.

I'm eager to learn, but this is very overwhelming and the first thing I've noticed is that the sound it's producing once we connected everything is not loud at all, so somewhere something is wrong and I do believe it might be a user setting than it being damaged. Currently our monitors (4x Martin Audio LE-350A with an LAB.GRUPPEN LAB2000c amp) is louder and better sounding than the W8 and W8s.

Here's a full list of our PA system:

Speakers:
2x Martin Audio W8 
2x Martin Audio W8S

Amplifiers for the speakers:
2x Crown CTs 3000 (These seems to be connected running the HF and high-mid in the W8)
1x LAB.GRUPPEN LAB4000 (This one seems to be running the low-mid in the W8)
1x LAB.GRUPPEN FP7000 (This one seems to be running the W8S)

System controllers:
2x Tannoy TDX1 Digital System Controller

Monitors:
4x Martin Audio LE-350A

Amp for monitors:
1x LAB.GRUPPEN LAB2000c

Mixer:
Soundcraft Si Expression 3

Question about the speakers:
There is a switch on the rear panels which says active/passive, is this for a crossover filter inside the cabinets that is in use if the switch is set to passive?

Also there are a total of 4 inputs on the panel for the speakers, where the cables we have can only be put into two of the inputs, and only one of the input gives sound. Why does one produce sound, but not the other?

My temporary conclusion:
Since the monitors produces more sound than the W8 and W8S, the problem might be the digital system controllers not being set up correctly?

Where do I start?
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2018 at 8:19am
Originally posted by Nheme Nheme wrote:

Where do I start?

Download and read rhe manuals. at least for the w8s and the tannoy dsp units for a start.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2018 at 10:21am
Quote The rear panels of the W8 and W8S are fitted with two Neutrik Speakon
NL8 connectors and two EP8 female connectors. All connectors are wired
in parallel.
EP8 NL8 W8 Active W8 Passive
1 -1 Low Mid - Low Mid -
2 +1 Low Mid + Low Mid +
3 -2 High Mid - High Mid/High -
4 +2 High Mid + High Mid/High +
5 -3 High - N/C
6 +3 High + N/C
7 -4 N/C N/C 
8 +4 N/C N/C
A bit messy. But for your setup you should have low-mid amp connected to NL8 -1, +1, mid-hi amp to -2, +2. Set to passive
If it doesn't work unscrew it and check inside...

EP8 NL8 W8S
1 & 3 -1 & -2 18" sub -ve
2 & 4 +1 & +2 18" sub +ve 
5 & 7 -3 & -4 15" low -ve
6 & 8 +3 & +4 15" low +ve
What does +ve, -ve stand for?

Edited by gen0me - 25 November 2018 at 10:54am
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2018 at 10:59am
Originally posted by gen0me gen0me wrote:

What does +ve, -ve stand for?

Positive and negative.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2018 at 11:09am
In just one connector...Ouch
Eitherway you have the answerWink
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
brokenjoe View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2018 at 12:01pm
take a picture of the wiring in the amp rack? 

I've owned this system and know it very well 
error 404
4AC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4AC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2018 at 9:31am
This is a (very-) serious system, capable of producing high SPL's with very decent sound quality.
I would strongly advice to call in a professional - with demonstrable experience - to solve your issues. He will probably start by excluding any faults and / or defects. Otherwise, you will keep searching for solutions, while you do not know exactly where the problem lies. After setting things up correctly, you should properly tune this system by using (for example-) SMAART. All of them quite complex jobs, which you should do correctly with such an expensive system, it seems to me. 
That way you have the greatest chance to utilize the full potential of this system.

It is pretty easy to destroy things (if they are not already), that would be pretty awkward. So do not feel ashamed, and ask a local professional for help. If we were to correctly describe all the steps here on this forum, then that would be (in my opinion) a little too much to ask. And even then, it is still questionable whether you are all going to do it well.

Edited by 4AC - 26 November 2018 at 9:31am
uǝɿɿɐʌǝ6ɯo sı ʇsʞǝʇ ǝzǝp
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2018 at 9:36am
My advice to you is to get in someone that understands the system.
A 4/5 way active system like Wavefront isn’t really a first step audio system. And by having “a go” you could land your self with a hefty recone bill.

Where are you based?
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2018 at 10:41pm
The active/passive switch only inserts a passive crossover between the high-mid (6.5" horn) and the HF (tweeter). 

You need to look at the settings on your TDX1, write them down, and report back here for advice.

As has been mentioned, you really must read the user manual. It can be found here:
https://martin-audio.com/downloads/archive/userguides/W8_EN.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply