Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lighting power cables

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lighting power cables
    Posted: 29 November 2018 at 4:58pm
How long can effects lighting power cables be? The venue I do my events in is quite big and i'm wanting to know if it'll be ok to connect a 10 metre extension trailing socket to the wall socket and then a 5 metre IEC cable will be attached to that, then IEC daisy chained from light to light as all lights i'll be getting have IEC inputs and outputs. Would doing that be ok and if so would 1.0mm 3 core power cable be ok or would I need 1.5mm? 

The lights will be two Equinox Saturn Spot moving head lights (90w power consumption), a Laserworld EL230RGB laser (15w power consumption) and two Equinox Crossfire lights (45w power consumption).
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2018 at 9:34pm
You appear to understand the relationship between load and cable length, so props for a start. The standards are no more than 5% voltage drop for a power circuit and 3% for a dedicated lighting circuit.

The calculation you need is: 

Vdrop (V) = Iwire (A) × Rwire(Ω)

Iwire (A) × (2 × L(m) × Rwire (Ω/km) / 1000(m/km))

Using the rapid tables online calculator at https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/wire/voltage-drop-calculator.html#calculations and plugging in the values as 1mm csa, 15m, 230v, 1.3a (rounded up) you get a voltage drop of 0.85v, which is 0.37%, which is well below the 3% for lighting circuits, so acceptable.

Edited by James Tengo - 29 November 2018 at 9:35pm
Fred_dibna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred_dibna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2018 at 8:55am
Great thanks lad.
 Post Reply Post Reply